Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
john

Default any tips for compressing TC boot time under Hardy?

Hi all,

I've decided to take the plunge and do a 'from-scratch' install of
Edubuntu/Hardy with an eye toward getting it ready to replace our 7.04
based Edubuntu installation. So far so good. Sound/USB works out of
the box, flash was easy to install, and building an i386 image for the
thin clients was a piece of cake. Wow! ( I assume once I tie
authentication in to Active Directory via pam/winbind, I'll lose USB
support, but I have a work around from
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LTSP-42-LocalDev#Install_FUSE_on_your_system)

But since I am always tinkering I was wondering if there was a way to
shorten the boot times on the thin clients. I am using Ntavo 6030's
with 512 mb ram/400 mhz via processor. The server is a quad core AMD
64 with 8gigs of ram and gig nic. My boot time on the thin clients
once PXE kicks in is around 70-75 seconds. I know that isn't a really
long time, but if there was a way to cut this down, I'd love to know
about it since I could imagine kids staring at the edubuntu progress
bar as it hung there for 30 seconds and reboot the machine several
times.

Does any one have any favorite hacks to
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf that they feel improves the user
experience?

Thanks!

John