Old 07-15-2008, 05:22 PM
john

Default making Edubuntu a bit easier to download: request for tweak on http://www.edubuntu.org/Download page

Hello all,

I want to give Olie or somebody some feedback about the download
directions for the LTSP Server install
located at http://www.edubuntu.org/Download. Here's the part that I
think may lead to issues for some downloaders.

Under the section heading titled:

Install Edubuntu Classroom Server (thin client)

1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04.1 Alternate CD - Don't forget to select the
checkbox for the alternate desktop CD on the download page!

Following the link takes you to
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and the Ubuntu download
dialog. Here you have the opportunity to choose your edition,

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition - Supported to 2011
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition - Supported to 2013

and to tick the checkbox that reads" Check here if you need the
alternate desktop CD."

Because I am a little bit dim, I choose the Server edition, after all
I had just come from the page and section entitled "Install Edubuntu
Classroom Server" AND I ticked the box that said "Check here if you
need the alternate desktop". The download I got was indeed the server
addition (despite the fact that I had also ticked "Alternate Desktop),
which doesn't include (AFAIK) the LTSP installation option. I've
realized my mistake and I am now downloading what I hope is the
correct version.

The reason I bother to bring this up is I could imagine this process
being even more ambiguous and lame for someone for whom English
wasn't the first language or for someone with a very slow internet
connection. If I'd just taken several days to download the ISO I would
feel really bad!

I think this issue could be solved by:

(1) not letting me near computers ever again or
(2) by putting an extra line under the "Install Edubuntu Classroom
Server (thin client)" heading at http://www.edubuntu.org/Download that
says something like:

1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04.1 Alternate CD - Don't forget to select the
"Desktop Edition" release and tick the checkbox for the alternate
desktop CD on the download page!

Anyway,

my .02

John

Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 15.07.2008, 10:22 -0700 schrieb john:
> 1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04.1 Alternate CD - Don't forget to select the
> "Desktop Edition" release and tick the checkbox for the alternate
> desktop CD on the download page!
That sounds a lot better indeed ...
the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyClassroomServer though is a lot clearer
and points directly to teh download directory with the isos ... it was
tried to get the site on edubuntu.org to comply as close to teh default
ubuntu page as possible which is why this confusion comes up ...
i will try to trigger the change to www.edubuntu.org

ciao
oli

Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 PM
john

> the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyClassroomServer though is a lot clearer
> and points directly to teh download directory with the isos ... it was
> tried to get the site on edubuntu.org to comply as close to teh default
> ubuntu page as possible which is why this confusion comes up ...
> i will try to trigger the change to www.edubuntu.org
>
> ciao
> oli

Thanks Oli,

I appreciate the response!

John

Old 07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Philipp Schroeder

Hi John,

Thank you for the suggestion. I changed the text on edubuntu.org
accordingly.

Best,
Philipp

--

Philipp Schroeder
DIN15 / Information Architecture & Interaction Design
www.din15.org, philipp@din15.org