Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Default Intel D945GCLF mobo as Thin Client with Ubuntu 8.04.1 (daily, 12072008)

Well, it seems to work now. With original Ubuntu 8.04 it did not.

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Atom_Server/Intel_D945GCLF_as_Thin_Client_Hardy.png

I have to tell xorg.conf to the mobo.

[00:22:15:15:4B:4C]
X_CONF = /etc/X11/asus-eee-xorg.conf

[00:1C:C0:47:E2:C0]
X_CONF = /etc/X11/xorg.conf

But there is nothing special on that xorg.conf? Without it I got
automatically 1600x1200 for 20" LCD (native is 1680x1050).

This feels slower than Asus Eee PC?

Anyway, it works perfect (resolution, sound and USB-stick):

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Atom_Server/Intel_D945GCLF_as_Thin_Client_Hardy.png

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
infiniti_guy

Asmo Koskinen wrote:

> Well, it seems to work now. With original Ubuntu 8.04 it did not.
>
> I have to tell xorg.conf to the mobo.
>
> [00:1C:C0:47:E2:C0]
> X_CONF = /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Anyway, it works perfect (resolution, sound and USB-stick):

Is there anything other than this X_CONF setting you used? The reason I ak
is because I am getting errors before X.. I get:
'/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
... usb... device...
Last message on client screen: USB Universal Host Controller Interface
driver v3.0
(then nothing else -- hangs)

Note: My Ubuntu LTSP installation works with other clients (VIA C7 and Intel
D201GLY) with no problems.

Thanks :-)

Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
infiniti_guy

infiniti_guy wrote:

> Is there anything other than this X_CONF setting you used?

I have an update with additional settings that are needed. Here's what you
need to do:

1) upgrade your client environment build packages
2) install 24-19 kernel in client environment
3) rebuild the client image
4) update your ltsp kernels
5) use the xorg.conf setting (from above)

I still have some strange video display behavior, but yes it works now (no
kernel panic, no hangs, no modprobe abnormal exit, etc.). Here are the
remaining issues:

i) I get a wierd script on the screen (looks like content form xorg.conf
file contents from the X_CONF setting) before ldm loads, this is
undesireable and looks very strange (for users).
ii) when performing a shutdown (from ldm after logout) I get a solid color
green screen instead of video off.

I believe both of these issues are related to the xorg.conf file set by
X_CONF. I.e. somethng is still not quite right with the video settings.
Anyone know how to fix this?