Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM
norman

Default dual boot

I am new to the use of Edubuntu, although I have used Ubuntu since it
started, and I am trying to set up a desktop computer for my
granddaughter, who is 9 years old.

The first thing I did was to make sure that Edubuntu would install and
run satisfactorily, which it did in every respect. Next, I decided that
it would probably be advantageous to dual boot and as I had Windows XP
Pro decided to use that.

This is when my troubles started. I assumed that during the installation
of XP the drive would be formatted and Edubuntu would be removed and
then Edubuntu could be installed to complete the dual boot. However, I
could not install Windows XP probably because of the remnants of the
MBR. I think I dealt with that and, eventually, obtained a working
install of XP. Edubuntu was installed again without any problem and all
hardware and software worked satisfactorily.

On booting, the menu was obtained with the various options and selecting
Edubuntu gave a working set up. However, when Windows XP was selected it
gave the dreaded blue screen with the error message 'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT
VOLUME'. I tried chkdsk /r and got the message that there were several
unrepairable problems.

I am tempted to go back to square one and install Edubuntu without
Windows XP but would prefer a dual boot set up. Can any one please
advise me on what I should do next in order to be able to achieve the
objective.

Norman

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
norman

I am just testing to make sure my set is OK. Please bear with me.

Norman

Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
norman

> I am just testing to make sure my set is OK. Please bear with me.

This is ridiculous, can any one tell me why mail addressed to
edubuntu-users ends up here?

Norman

Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 PM
francois Barillon

Le lundi 03 décembre 2007 à 20:28 +0000, norman a écrit :
> I am new to the use of Edubuntu, although I have used Ubuntu since it
> started, and I am trying to set up a desktop computer for my
> granddaughter, who is 9 years old.
>
> The first thing I did was to make sure that Edubuntu would install and
> run satisfactorily, which it did in every respect. Next, I decided that
> it would probably be advantageous to dual boot and as I had Windows XP
> Pro decided to use that.
>
> This is when my troubles started. I assumed that during the installation
> of XP the drive would be formatted and Edubuntu would be removed and
> then Edubuntu could be installed to complete the dual boot. However, I
> could not install Windows XP probably because of the remnants of the
> MBR. I think I dealt with that and, eventually, obtained a working
> install of XP. Edubuntu was installed again without any problem and all
> hardware and software worked satisfactorily.
>
> On booting, the menu was obtained with the various options and selecting
> Edubuntu gave a working set up. However, when Windows XP was selected it
> gave the dreaded blue screen with the error message 'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT
> VOLUME'. I tried chkdsk /r and got the message that there were several
> unrepairable problems.
>
> I am tempted to go back to square one and install Edubuntu without
> Windows XP but would prefer a dual boot set up. Can any one please
> advise me on what I should do next in order to be able to achieve the
> objective.

I don't know where you are in your tests but I think you could :

- use a live CD with a partitionning program and create
1. NTFS partitioning
2. Free space

- install Win XP

- install Edubuntu in the free space (Worksation option, I think you
won't use ltsp fonction).

There are ways to install Linux without touching the MBR but I don't
think it would be necessary in your situation.

Hope this could help.

François

Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 PM
"Jay Perez"

Hi Norman,

If you're trying to post to the edubuntu users list, it looks to me like you're being successful.

I subscribe to the list and have gotten about 6 of your messages ...

Jay

Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 PM
"R. Scott Belford"

norman wrote:
>> I am just testing to make sure my set is OK. Please bear with me.
>
> This is ridiculous, can any one tell me why mail addressed to
> edubuntu-users ends up here?

"Here" can be quite relative. Are you possibly using mail filters that
are putting these posts into an unexpected folder? Also, if you don't
reply-to-all on this mailing list, your messages only go to the poster,
not the list.

> Norman

--scott

Old 05-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Neil Winchurst

I have recently installed Gutsy to replace Edgy. I have plenty of
room on my HD. As I have a copy of the Hardy alternate install CD I
am wondering about adding Hardy as a second choice so that I can
compare the two distros.

I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room on the
HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva
as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the drive. I
have never used parted.

Should this be a simple job or are there pitfalls to avoid? I am
thinking of :-

making room on sda1

running the alternate install CD for Hardy

choosing the manual option for the partitioning

telling the program to use the free space on the HD.

This is similar to what I did before and when I restarted the
computer afterwards I found that the dual boot was set up ready for
me to choose Mandriva or Kubuntu.

Any help gratefully received

Neil Winchurst

Old 05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 05 May 2008, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room on the
> HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva
> as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the drive. I
> have never used parted.
>
> Should this be a simple job or are there pitfalls to avoid? I am
> thinking of :-

Two pitfalls........

If you change the number or order of partitions, you can mess up the booting
of other systems. A lot of this is eliminated by the UDEV methods that
*ubuntu now uses but there are still gotchas for the grub menu.lst and
possibly fstab.

Best to plan out what you are going to do ahead of time as for new partitions
and then make sure you are going to be able to boot your old system.

You might have to reinstall grub if the /boot partition changes its order and
also change the 'root' statements in the menu.lst at the very least.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Karl Klinger

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room on the
> HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva
> as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the drive. I
> have never used parted.

I would use gparted rather than qtparted. From the qtparted home page:
"Warning: QTParted is still in development". The page was last updated
in 2005.

I have generally used the partitioner on the alternate install cd,
including resizing ntfs partitions, and have never run into problems.

Karl

Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Klinger wrote:

> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room on the
>> HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva
>> as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the drive. I
>> have never used parted.
>
> I would use gparted rather than qtparted. From the qtparted home page:
> "Warning: QTParted is still in development". The page was last updated
> in 2005.

gparted/qtparted are just gui wrappers for parted - so there's no reason to
be afraid of qtparted just because it _may_ not be as mature as gparted,
and why install all the gnome support just for a partitioning tool?

> I have generally used the partitioner on the alternate install cd,
> including resizing ntfs partitions, and have never run into problems.

Which is what I do too. I don't bother to keep a partitioner on my live
system, because it's highly unlikely I'll ever use it.
--
derek