Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
TOM TOM

Default dual boot

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Norman Silverstone <norman@littletank.org> wrote:

I am attempting to set up a new PC with Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu

12.04. XP Pro was installed followed by Xubuntu. The computer was then

re-booted but, instead of getting a list to choose the operating system

from, the PC went straight into XP Pro. Presumably something is

preventing Grub from working correctly and I would be grateful for

suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Thanks in advance

Norman

If you have more than one hard drive, it's possible that grub didn't install in the drive that's first in the boot order.
Another possibility, if you installed using a usb stick, is that grub installed itself to the usb instead of the drive.

So, if you reinstall make sure that grub is installed to sda.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Knute Johnson

I am attempting to set up a new PC with Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu
12.04. XP Pro was installed followed by Xubuntu. The computer was then
re-booted but, instead of getting a list to choose the operating system
from, the PC went straight into XP Pro. Presumably something is
preventing Grub from working correctly and I would be grateful for
suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Thanks in advance

Norman

You need to install XP first or reinstall Grub. The Windows in stall
overwrites the boot record. Google around for "reinstall grub" and you
should be OK.

--

Knute Johnson

Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Knute Johnson

I am attempting to set up a new PC with Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu
12.04. XP Pro was installed followed by Xubuntu. The computer was then
re-booted but, instead of getting a list to choose the operating system
from, the PC went straight into XP Pro. Presumably something is
preventing Grub from working correctly and I would be grateful for
suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Thanks in advance

Norman

You need to install XP first or reinstall Grub. The Windows in stall
overwrites the boot record. Google around for "reinstall grub" and you
should be OK.

Never mind, I can't read :-).

--

Knute Johnson

Old 05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Joshua O'Leary

I am attempting to set up a new PC with Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu
12.04. XP Pro was installed followed by Xubuntu. The computer was then
re-booted but, instead of getting a list to choose the operating system
from, the PC went straight into XP Pro. Presumably something is
preventing Grub from working correctly and I would be grateful for
suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Thanks in advance

Norman

As this is something that occurs quite often, I have attached a pack of
4 screenshots showing how to fix the problem step by step.

Hope it is of some help.
Joshua

Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Joshua O'Leary

I am attempting to set up a new PC with Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu
12.04. XP Pro was installed followed by Xubuntu. The computer was then
re-booted but, instead of getting a list to choose the operating system
from, the PC went straight into XP Pro. Presumably something is
preventing Grub from working correctly and I would be grateful for
suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Thanks in advance

Norman

You need to install XP first or reinstall Grub. The Windows in stall
overwrites the boot record. Google around for "reinstall grub" and you
should be OK.

Never mind, I can't read :-).

This problem often occurs if grub hasn't been installed properly. I have
made an easy how-to guide here:

http://jmoey.zxq.net/download/fix_grub.tar.bz2

Hope it is of some help
Joshua

Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Joshua O'Leary

[...]

Sorry for the double post didn't think the attachment had worked

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 05/10/2012 11:50 PM, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 10/05/12 21:25, Joshua O'Leary wrote:

>>> Never mind, I can't read :-).
>>>
>> This problem often occurs if grub hasn't been installed properly. I
>> have made an easy how-to guide here:
>> http://jmoey.zxq.net/download/fix_grub.tar.bz2
>>
>> Hope it is of some help
>> Joshua
>>

> Sorry for the double post didn't think the attachment had worked

The mail with the attachment was stuck in the moderation for a while
since it exceeded the maximum email size for the list. That's why it
didn't appear at first.

Cheers,
Pasi

Leader of Xubuntu and Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Norman Silverstone

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 19:18 +0100, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 10/05/12 14:52, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> > I am attempting to set up a new PC with Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu
> > 12.04. XP Pro was installed followed by Xubuntu. The computer was then
> > re-booted but, instead of getting a list to choose the operating system
> > from, the PC went straight into XP Pro. Presumably something is
> > preventing Grub from working correctly and I would be grateful for
> > suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Thanks in advance
> >

> As this is something that occurs quite often, I have attached a pack of
> 4 screenshots showing how to fix the problem step by step.
>
> Hope it is of some help.

Joshua, these screen shots are very helpful indeed. When I look for the
Linux partition I see the following:-

System Reserved
500GB Filesystem
125GB Filesystem

Which one should I select?

Norman

Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Joshua O'Leary

I am attempting to set up a new PC with Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu
12.04. XP Pro was installed followed by Xubuntu. The computer was then
re-booted but, instead of getting a list to choose the operating system
from, the PC went straight into XP Pro. Presumably something is
preventing Grub from working correctly and I would be grateful for
suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Thanks in advance

As this is something that occurs quite often, I have attached a pack of
4 screenshots showing how to fix the problem step by step.

Hope it is of some help.

Joshua, these screen shots are very helpful indeed. When I look for the
Linux partition I see the following:-

System Reserved
500GB Filesystem
125GB Filesystem

Which one should I select?

Norman

Hi Norman,
Select the one that is of the same size - if, during the install, you
gave the most hard disk space to linux, then the linux partition would
be the largest, if it was less hard disk space it would be the smallest.
If in doubt, click on each, and observe the filesystem - xubuntu would
show files like

/bin /boot /dev /etc /home .....

Windows would have
WINDOWS
Program Files

The boot folder needed to reinstall grub is therefore on the Linux
partition.

Joshua