Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 AM
"Jeff G."

Default Dual Boot

On 11/28/2010 01:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 28 November 2010 05:37, Mark<mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I consider anything requiring Windows that runs other than as a VM on
>> top of Linux is a mistake unless you have a really good reason to boot
>> Windows on the hardware (like CAD and other, similar things that are
>> hard to find for Linux systems).
>
> A good reason to use dual boot rather than running windows in a VM is
> if one bought a PC with Windows installed and it did not come with a
> set of install CDs, only the recovery discs that restore the whole
> disc to it's initial state. I believe one does not have the option in
> that case.

One has the option to get the install CDs or ask for money back.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 AM
"Jeff G."

On 11/28/2010 02:44 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Mark<mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But wait... Windows *can* access a Linux partition, though it does require
>>> installing third party software to enable it to do so.
>>>
>> Aside from the fact that this is almost certainly a dangerously foolish idea....
>
> It's neither dangerous nor foolish. You might want to access your "~"
> from Windows.

No, /I/ wouldn't want to do that - sorry.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Pastor JW

On Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:24:33 am Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 07:20 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 28 November 2010 12:42, Ali Hassan<alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> PS: I like ubuntu and use it for work (research), I use windows for
> >> home& entertainment ...
> >
> > What do you need Windows for that you cannot do in Ubuntu?
> >

> Try watching a Netflix streaming movie.

Works fine.

> Try installing Microsoft Streets and Trips.

No thank you, it is microsoft and I don't want it in even the same room as any
of my computers.

> Try getting a Wacom pad to work. Mine's a CT-460, Bamboo pen and touch.

I don't have one, never have, and if they don't support Linux they will never
sell me one either.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Billie Walsh

On 11/28/2010 10:19 PM, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:24:33 am Billie Walsh wrote:

>>> What do you need Windows for that you cannot do in Ubuntu?
>>>

>> Try watching a Netflix streaming movie.
>>
> Works fine.

Says OS not supported and requires Silverlight. I would be interested in
how you managed.

>> Try installing Microsoft Streets and Trips.
>>
> No thank you, it is microsoft and I don't want it in even the same room as any
> of my computers.

Regardless who makes it it's the best map software around. A GPS device
with a 17 inch, at least on my laptop, screen. Way better than Tom Tom.

>> Try getting a Wacom pad to work. Mine's a CT-460, Bamboo pen and touch.
>>
> I don't have one, never have, and if they don't support Linux they will never
> sell me one either.

It's not that they don't support Linux. Linux doesn't support it. As
I've said before I did manage to get it to work once, but a reboot and
all was lost. Would have to jump through the hoops again every time you
boot the computer. Just more trouble than it's worth.

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As for Goh's question:
>
> TrojanOS/Alureon.A
> boot:.PHYSICALDRIVE0(MBR)(MBR)
> Now two days, Ubuntu and Windows are working, but the warning of the Trojan is still there.

There have been cases where MS and other Windows software has killed
grub2's core.img but flagging it as a known trojan? I don't think so.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 02:44 AM, Tom H wrote:

>>> Aside from the fact that this is almost certainly a dangerously foolish idea....
>>
>> It's neither dangerous nor foolish. You might want to access your "~"
>> from Windows. I've done so pre-Win7 regularly with, IIRC, ext2fs.sys.
>
> ext2fs.sys won't work with ext4 IIRC. The dangerous part is if you use
> ext2fs.sys to access your ext2/3 with write permissions. I do it, but
> unless you know what you are doing, and are *very* careful, it is quite
> possible to wipe out important chunks of your linux install from Win.

ext4 support is unfortunately non-existent as is Win7 support.

The same applies to mounting an ntfs partitions with write
permissions... Or using "sudo"/"sudo -s"/"sudo -i"... Or...

Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wait a minute!* I thought dual-booting created partitions that cannot be
>>> breached!
>>
>> core.img is embedded into the post-MBR gap and not a partition.
>
> I am sorry, but I know what neither a core.img nor a post-MBR gap is.* May I
> trouble you for a link to some references?

Heard of Google?

Anyway:

Core.img is grub2's equivalent of grub1's stage 1.5.

If you run "fdisk -lu /dev/sda", you'll see that /dev/sda1 starts at
63 (for a default Ubuntu install; Lubuntu and Fedora start at 2048).
Sector 0 is the MBR and sectors 1-62 are the post-MBR gap.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Nathan Bahn

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>>> Wait a minute!* I thought dual-booting created partitions that cannot be

>>> breached!

>> core.img is embedded into the post-MBR gap and not a partition.

> I am sorry, but I know what neither a core.img nor a post-MBR gap is.* May I

> trouble you for a link to some references?

Heard of Google?

Anyway:

Core.img is grub2's equivalent of grub1's stage 1.5.

If you run "fdisk -lu /dev/sda", you'll see that /dev/sda1 starts at

63 (for a default Ubuntu install; Lubuntu and Fedora start at 2048).

Sector 0 is the MBR and sectors 1-62 are the post-MBR gap.

T.H.--
Thanks for the info.
--N.B.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Colin Law

On 29 November 2010 02:15, Jeff G. <connyank@cox.net> wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 01:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 28 November 2010 05:37, Mark<mhullrich@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I consider anything requiring Windows that runs other than as a VM on
>>> top of Linux is a mistake unless you have a really good reason to boot
>>> Windows on the hardware (like CAD and other, similar things that are
>>> hard to find for Linux systems).
>>
>> A good reason to use dual boot rather than running windows in a VM is
>> if one bought a PC with Windows installed and it did not come with a
>> set of install CDs, only the recovery discs that restore the whole
>> disc to it's initial state. *I believe one does not have the option in
>> that case.
>
> One has the option to get the install CDs or ask for money back.

Not when one bought the laptop several years ago one doesn't.

Colin

Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Norman Silverstone

I am attempting to set up a new PC with Windows XP Pro and Xubuntu
12.04. XP Pro was installed followed by Xubuntu. The computer was then
re-booted but, instead of getting a list to choose the operating system
from, the PC went straight into XP Pro. Presumably something is
preventing Grub from working correctly and I would be grateful for
suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Thanks in advance

Norman