Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Tom H

Default Dual Boot

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 28 November 2010 05:37, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I consider anything requiring Windows that runs other than as a VM on
>> top of Linux is a mistake unless you have a really good reason to boot
>> Windows on the hardware (like CAD and other, similar things that are
>> hard to find for Linux systems).
>
> A good reason to use dual boot rather than running windows in a VM is
> if one bought a PC with Windows installed and it did not come with a
> set of install CDs, only the recovery discs that restore the whole
> disc to it's initial state. *I believe one does not have the option in
> that case.

+1

Furthermore, MS had said around the launch of Win7 that you might need
to have Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate in order to install Win7 legally in
a VM. I can't find anything on its web site about this so it may not
(no longer) be the case.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Ali Hassan

Thanks guys,
*
As for Goh's question:
*
TrojanOS/Alureon.A
boot:.PHYSICALDRIVE0(MBR)(MBR)

Now two days, Ubuntu and Windows are working, but the warning of the Trojan is still there.
*
Thanks,
ali
*
PS: I like ubuntu and use it for work (research), I use windows*for home & entertainment *...

Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Colin Law

On 28 November 2010 12:42, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> PS: I like ubuntu and use it for work (research), I use windows*for home & entertainment *...

What do you need Windows for that you cannot do in Ubuntu?

Colin

Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Goh Lip

On Sunday 28,November,2010 08:42 PM, Ali Hassan wrote:
> TrojanOS/Alureon.A
> boot:.PHYSICALDRIVE0(MBR)(MBR)
> Now two days, Ubuntu and Windows are working, but the warning of the
> Trojan is still there.

Not from grub.
but see below to get rid of the windows trojan.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Virus:Win32/Alureon.A

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-330853.html

Good luck - Goh Lip

Old 11-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Billie Walsh

On 11/28/2010 07:20 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 28 November 2010 12:42, Ali Hassan<alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> PS: I like ubuntu and use it for work (research), I use windows for home& entertainment ...
>>
> What do you need Windows for that you cannot do in Ubuntu?
>
> Colin

Try watching a Netflix streaming movie.

Try installing Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Try getting a Wacom pad to work. Mine's a CT-460, Bamboo pen and touch.

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Colin Law

On 28 November 2010 14:24, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 07:20 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 28 November 2010 12:42, Ali Hassan<alihuco@yahoo.com> *wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> PS: I like ubuntu and use it for work (research), I use windows for home& *entertainment *...
>>>
>> What do you need Windows for that you cannot do in Ubuntu?
>>

> Try watching a Netflix streaming movie.
>
> Try installing Microsoft Streets and Trips.
>
> Try getting a Wacom pad to work. Mine's a CT-460, Bamboo pen and touch.

I was only asking.

Colin

Old 11-28-2010, 05:49 PM
NoOp

On 11/28/2010 02:44 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But wait... Windows *can* access a Linux partition, though it does require
>>> installing third party software to enable it to do so.
>>>
>> Aside from the fact that this is almost certainly a dangerously foolish idea....
>
> It's neither dangerous nor foolish. You might want to access your "~"
> from Windows. I've done so pre-Win7 regularly with, IIRC, ext2fs.sys.

ext2fs.sys won't work with ext4 IIRC. The dangerous part is if you use
ext2fs.sys to access your ext2/3 with write permissions. I do it, but
unless you know what you are doing, and are *very* careful, it is quite
possible to wipe out important chunks of your linux install from Win.
You also run the risk of a Virus infected Win writing to the mounted
linux partition without realizing that it has.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Nathan Bahn

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wait a minute!* I thought dual-booting created partitions that cannot be

> breached!

core.img is embedded into the post-MBR gap and not a partition.

T.H.--

I am sorry, but I know what neither a core.img nor a post-MBR gap is.* May I trouble you for a link to some references?

--N.B.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 PM
NoOp

On 11/28/2010 03:08 PM, Nathan Bahn wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Wait a minute! I thought dual-booting created partitions that cannot be
>> > breached!
>>
>> core.img is embedded into the post-MBR gap and not a partition.
> I am sorry, but I know what neither a core.img nor a post-MBR gap is. May I
> trouble you for a link to some references?

Maybe these will help:

$ locate core.img
/boot/grub/core.img

and

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Images
<quote>
On PC systems using the traditional MBR partition table format, the core
image is usually installed in the "MBR gap" between the master boot
record and the first partition, or sometimes it is installed in a file
system and read directly from that. The latter is not recommended
because GRUB needs to encode the location of all the core image sectors
in diskboot.img, and if the file system ever moves the core image around
(as it is entitled to do) then GRUB must be reinstalled; it also means
that GRUB will not be able to reliably find the core image if it resides
on a different disk than the one to which boot.img was installed.
</quote>

There can be issues is the "MBR gap" is too small, or the core.img/grub
is too large. Sample:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/423412
[karmic alpha: grub2 core.img with mdraid & lvm too big to embed]

Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Nathan Bahn

On 11/28/2010 03:08 PM, Nathan Bahn wrote:

[...]

> I am sorry, but I know what neither a core.img nor a post-MBR gap is. *May I

> trouble you for a link to some references?

Maybe these will help:

$ locate core.img

/boot/grub/core.img

and

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Images

<quote>

On PC systems using the traditional MBR partition table format, the core

image is usually installed in the "MBR gap" between the master boot

record and the first partition, or sometimes it is installed in a file

system and read directly from that. The latter is not recommended

because GRUB needs to encode the location of all the core image sectors

in diskboot.img, and if the file system ever moves the core image around

(as it is entitled to do) then GRUB must be reinstalled; it also means

that GRUB will not be able to reliably find the core image if it resides

on a different disk than the one to which boot.img was installed.

</quote>

There can be issues is the "MBR gap" is too small, or the core.img/grub

is too large. Sample:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/423412

[karmic alpha: grub2 core.img with mdraid & lvm too big to embed]

NoOp--
Thank you.
--N.B.