Old 11-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Nathan Bahn

Default Dual Boot

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I have dell inspiron 5010 with windows 7 with microsoft security essentials as antivirus software. I installed ubuntu 10.04 on the machine. I think it works good. But when I start windows it itells me there is a trojan in the boot sector on the HDD. Removing it is okay, but at the next restart the same warnning pops up again.

> Could it be possible that microsoft security essentials*considers the grub as trojan??

<snicker> I'd say you're asking for weirdness like that when you mix

anything Microsoft with the free unixverse.

Wait a minute!* I thought dual-booting created partitions that cannot be breached!
--N.B.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Rashkae

On 10-11-27 10:20 PM, Nathan Bahn wrote:

> Wait a minute! I thought dual-booting created partitions that cannot
> be breached!
> --N.B.
> --

No. Windows has almost non-existent support for any filesystem not it's
own, and therefore can't access the files on Linux partitions that are
not formatted as FAT or NTFS, but that has nothing to do with
un-breachable partitions. Regardless, all Operating systems have to
share the same Master boot record; there is only one for the system.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:15 AM
Roy Smith

Wait a minute! I thought dual-booting created partitions that cannot
be breached!
--N.B.
--

No. Windows has almost non-existent support for any filesystem not it's
own, and therefore can't access the files on Linux partitions that are
not formatted as FAT or NTFS, but that has nothing to do with
un-breachable partitions. Regardless, all Operating systems have to
share the same Master boot record; there is only one for the system.

But wait... Windows *can* access a Linux partition, though it does
require installing third party software to enable it to do so.

--

Roy Smith
Linux Mint 10 Thunderbird 3.1.6

Old 11-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Mark

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Roy Smith <rasmith1959@live.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/2010 09:55 PM, Rashkae wrote:
>>
>> No. *Windows has almost non-existent support for any filesystem not it's
:

> But wait... *Windows *can* access a Linux partition, though it does require
> installing third party software to enable it to do so.

Aside from the fact that this is almost certainly a dangerously foolish idea....

Wubi will install Ubuntu inside a Windows system, though I don't know
the details.

I consider anything requiring Windows that runs other than as a VM on
top of Linux is a mistake unless you have a really good reason to boot
Windows on the hardware (like CAD and other, similar things that are
hard to find for Linux systems).

And that's just me....

OT: I just found this page of nice slogans about this very subject:
http://humorix.org/slogans/

Old 11-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Goh Lip

On Sunday 28,November,2010 07:51 AM, Ali Hassan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have dell inspiron 5010 with windows 7 with microsoft security
> essentials as antivirus software. I installed ubuntu 10.04 on the
> machine. I think it works good. But when I start windows it itells me
> there is a trojan in the boot sector on the HDD. Removing it is okay,
> but at the next restart the same warnning pops up again.
> Could it be possible that microsoft security essentials considers the
> grub as trojan??
> thanks
> ali

Ali, as you are probably aware, most of us here don't use microsoft
security essentials, but can you let us know the name of the 'trojan'
which you deleted harmlessly?

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 11-28-2010, 05:35 AM
Goh Lip

On Sunday 28,November,2010 01:37 PM, Mark wrote:
> I consider anything requiring Windows that runs other than as a VM on
> top of Linux is a mistake unless you have a really good reason to boot
> Windows on the hardware (like CAD and other, similar things that are
> hard to find for Linux systems).
>
> And that's just me....

Yes, that's just you.....

Old 11-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Colin Law

On 28 November 2010 05:37, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I consider anything requiring Windows that runs other than as a VM on
> top of Linux is a mistake unless you have a really good reason to boot
> Windows on the hardware (like CAD and other, similar things that are
> hard to find for Linux systems).

A good reason to use dual boot rather than running windows in a VM is
if one bought a PC with Windows installed and it did not come with a
set of install CDs, only the recovery discs that restore the whole
disc to it's initial state. I believe one does not have the option in
that case.

Colin

Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Tom H

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have dell inspiron 5010 with windows 7 with microsoft security essentials
> as antivirus software. I installed ubuntu 10.04 on the machine. I think it
> works good. But when I start windows it itells me there is a trojan in the
> boot sector on the HDD. Removing it is okay, but at the next restart the
> same warnning pops up again.
> Could it be possible that microsoft security essentials*considers the grub
> as trojan?

Yes, it's possible.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Tom H

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have dell inspiron 5010 with windows 7 with microsoft security
>> > essentials as antivirus software. I installed ubuntu 10.04 on the machine. I
>> > think it works good. But when I start windows it itells me there is a trojan
>> > in the boot sector on the HDD. Removing it is okay, but at the next restart
>> > the same warnning pops up again.
>> > Could it be possible that microsoft security essentials*considers the
>> > grub as trojan??
>> >
>> <snicker> I'd say you're asking for weirdness like that when you mix
>> anything Microsoft with the free unixverse.
>
> Wait a minute!* I thought dual-booting created partitions that cannot be
> breached!

core.img is embedded into the post-MBR gap and not a partition.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Roy Smith <rasmith1959@live.com> wrote:
>> On 11/27/2010 09:55 PM, Rashkae wrote:
>>>
>>> No. *Windows has almost non-existent support for any filesystem not it's
>>
>> But wait... *Windows *can* access a Linux partition, though it does require
>> installing third party software to enable it to do so.
>>
> Aside from the fact that this is almost certainly a dangerously foolish idea....

It's neither dangerous nor foolish. You might want to access your "~"
from Windows. I've done so pre-Win7 regularly with, IIRC, ext2fs.sys.