FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Scott
 
Default Dual boot

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Karl Klinger wrote:
>> I have generally used the partitioner on the alternate install cd,
>> including resizing ntfs partitions, and have never run into problems.
>
> Which is what I do too. I don't bother to keep a partitioner on my live
> system, because it's highly unlikely I'll ever use it.
Personally, I simply use the partitioner on the System Rescue CD.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 PM
"Willy Hamra"
 
Default Dual boot

i use qtparted most of the time, it's only downside is support for ntfs, which still doesnt work. and this brings me to another question, are ext3 partition resizeable? i noticed that pqmagic doesnt allow it, and i once used paragon on windows, it did agree to resize the ext3. it only made one tiny problem though, the whole DAMN partition got corrupt, no file was readable anymore, and i ended up reinstalling gutsy (yeah, it was my /usr partition, stupid me).


On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Karl Klinger wrote:



> Neil Winchurst wrote:

>> I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room on the

>> HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva

>> as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the drive. I

>> have never used parted.

>

> I would use gparted rather than qtparted. *From the qtparted home page:

> "Warning: *QTParted is still in development". *The page was last updated

> in 2005.

>

gparted/qtparted are just gui wrappers for parted - so there's no reason to

be afraid of qtparted just because it _may_ not be as mature as gparted,

and why install all the gnome support just for a partitioning tool?



> I have generally used the partitioner on the alternate install cd,

> including resizing ntfs partitions, and have never run into problems.



Which is what I do too. *I don't bother to keep a partitioner on my live

system, because it's highly unlikely I'll ever use it.

--

derek





--

kubuntu-users mailing list

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Blue Rose
 
Default Dual boot

I made a live cd with gparted on it, works like a charm :-)
the image for the live cd is readily available on the internet.. can't
remember the link now, but I'm sure google will find it for you :-)


Derek Broughton wrote:
> Karl Klinger wrote:
>
>
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room on the
>>> HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva
>>> as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the drive. I
>>> have never used parted.
>>>
>> I would use gparted rather than qtparted. From the qtparted home page:
>> "Warning: QTParted is still in development". The page was last updated
>> in 2005.
>>
>>
> gparted/qtparted are just gui wrappers for parted - so there's no reason to
> be afraid of qtparted just because it _may_ not be as mature as gparted,
> and why install all the gnome support just for a partitioning tool?
>
>
>> I have generally used the partitioner on the alternate install cd,
>> including resizing ntfs partitions, and have never run into problems.
>>
>
> Which is what I do too. I don't bother to keep a partitioner on my live
> system, because it's highly unlikely I'll ever use it.
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Blue Rose
 
Default Dual boot

With the gparted live cd I resized my ntfs and ext3 (/home) partition
yesterday.. No problems whatsoever... just if you need to move files
around and all it's gonna take looooong.. so don't try to squeeze that
in just before you need your computer :P took all evening here, but then
again, I probably moved 300GB of data in total.



Willy Hamra wrote:
> i use qtparted most of the time, it's only downside is support for
> ntfs, which still doesnt work. and this brings me to another question,
> are ext3 partition resizeable? i noticed that pqmagic doesnt allow it,
> and i once used paragon on windows, it did agree to resize the ext3.
> it only made one tiny problem though, the whole DAMN partition got
> corrupt, no file was readable anymore, and i ended up reinstalling
> gutsy (yeah, it was my /usr partition, stupid me).
>
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca
> <mailto:news@pointerstop.ca>> wrote:
>
> Karl Klinger wrote:
>
> > Neil Winchurst wrote:
> >> I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room
> on the
> >> HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva
> >> as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the
> drive. I
> >> have never used parted.
> >
> > I would use gparted rather than qtparted. From the qtparted
> home page:
> > "Warning: QTParted is still in development". The page was last
> updated
> > in 2005.
> >
> gparted/qtparted are just gui wrappers for parted - so there's no
> reason to
> be afraid of qtparted just because it _may_ not be as mature as
> gparted,
> and why install all the gnome support just for a partitioning tool?
>
> > I have generally used the partitioner on the alternate install cd,
> > including resizing ntfs partitions, and have never run into
> problems.
>
> Which is what I do too. I don't bother to keep a partitioner on
> my live
> system, because it's highly unlikely I'll ever use it.
> --
> derek
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Neil Winchurst
 
Default Dual boot

On Mon, 05 May 2008 11:23:11 -0700
Karl Klinger <karlok@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room on the
> > HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva
> > as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the drive. I
> > have never used parted.
>
> I would use gparted rather than qtparted. From the qtparted home page:
> "Warning: QTParted is still in development". The page was last updated
> in 2005.
>
> I have generally used the partitioner on the alternate install cd,
> including resizing ntfs partitions, and have never run into problems.
>
> Karl
>
Thanks for that. You mention ntfs partitions. Using kdf my sda1
partition does not show the type. I assume it is ext3. Does it matter
which type it is?

Neil

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Marvin Kosmal
 
Default Dual Boot

Hi

I want to dual boot FC13 and Sabayon5.3

I googled and there are thousands of dual boots out there..

Does Fedora have a simple good one?

TIA

Marvin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 PM
JB
 
Default Dual Boot

Marvin Kosmal <mkosmal <at> gmail.com> writes:

>
> Hi
>
> I want to dual boot FC13 and Sabayon5.3
>
> I googled and there are thousands of dual boots out there..
>
> Does Fedora have a simple good one?
>
> TIA
>
> Marvin
Hi,
you are very enigmatic with that "there are thousands of dual boots out there".
Regardless, I will try to help, if the below is what you mean.

Let's assume you have a fresh disk.

You install F13 by formatting the disk accordingly (that is you take some space
for F13, leave some for other distros/OS's), and install its boot loader (GRUB)
to MBR, by which it becomes the main boot loader for F13 and other installations.

Then, you install your other distro (e.g. Sabayon), but install its boot loader
to its own root partition (/boot subdirectory).

Next, you boot F13, sign in as root and modify its GRUB to present you with
a boot menu that includes Sabayon, by whose selection you also boot it).

Assuming that you partitioned the sda disk like:
/dev/sda1 # F13 root partition, which corresponds to "root (hd0,0)"
/dev/sda2 # Sabayon root partition, which corresponds to "root (hd0,1)"

here is an example cut of a dual boot GRUB config file:

# cat /etc/grub.conf
...
title Fedora (2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686 ro
root=UUID=4a459357-74f1-4bb2-8924-0a834b58982c rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD
rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us
noiswmd rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686.img

title Sabayon
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

JB





--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Marvin Kosmal
 
Default Dual Boot

HI

Thanks

Will get back to you when done.. Later this week..


Marvin


On 8/15/10, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marvin Kosmal <mkosmal <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to dual boot FC13 and Sabayon5.3
>>
>> I googled and there are thousands of dual boots out there..
>>
>> Does Fedora have a simple good one?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Marvin
> Hi,
> you are very enigmatic with that "there are thousands of dual boots out
> there".
> Regardless, I will try to help, if the below is what you mean.
>
> Let's assume you have a fresh disk.
>
> You install F13 by formatting the disk accordingly (that is you take some
> space
> for F13, leave some for other distros/OS's), and install its boot loader
> (GRUB)
> to MBR, by which it becomes the main boot loader for F13 and other
> installations.
>
> Then, you install your other distro (e.g. Sabayon), but install its boot
> loader
> to its own root partition (/boot subdirectory).
>
> Next, you boot F13, sign in as root and modify its GRUB to present you with
> a boot menu that includes Sabayon, by whose selection you also boot it).
>
> Assuming that you partitioned the sda disk like:
> /dev/sda1 # F13 root partition, which corresponds to "root (hd0,0)"
> /dev/sda2 # Sabayon root partition, which corresponds to "root
> (hd0,1)"
>
> here is an example cut of a dual boot GRUB config file:
>
> # cat /etc/grub.conf
> ...
> title Fedora (2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686 ro
> root=UUID=4a459357-74f1-4bb2-8924-0a834b58982c rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD
> rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc
> KEYTABLE=us
> noiswmd rhgb quiet
> initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686.img
>
> title Sabayon
> rootnoverify (hd0,1)
> chainloader +1
>
> JB
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Ali Hassan
 
Default Dual Boot

Hi,
I have dell inspiron 5010 with windows 7 with microsoft security essentials as antivirus software. I installed ubuntu 10.04 on the machine. I think it works good. But when I start windows it itells me there is a trojan in the boot sector on the HDD. Removing it is okay, but at the next restart the same warnning pops up again.
Could it be possible that microsoft security essentials*considers the grub as trojan??
*
thanks
ali








--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Mark
 
Default Dual Boot

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I have dell inspiron 5010 with windows 7 with microsoft security essentials as antivirus software. I installed ubuntu 10.04 on the machine. I think it works good. But when I start windows it itells me there is a trojan in the boot sector on the HDD. Removing it is okay, but at the next restart the same warnning pops up again.
> Could it be possible that microsoft security essentials*considers the grub as trojan??
>
<snicker> I'd say you're asking for weirdness like that when you mix
anything Microsoft with the free unixverse.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org