Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
norman

Default dual boot

I am new to the use of Edubuntu, although I have used Ubuntu since it
started, and I am trying to set up a desktop computer for my
granddaughter, who is 9 years old.

The first thing I did was to make sure that Edubuntu would install and
run satisfactorily, which it did in every respect. Next, I decided that
it would probably be advantageous to dual boot and as I had Windows XP
Pro decided to use that.

This is when my troubles started. I assumed that during the installation
of XP the drive would be formatted and Edubuntu would be removed and
then Edubuntu could be installed to complete the dual boot. However, I
could not install Windows XP probably because of the remnants of the
MBR. I think I dealt with that and, eventually, obtained a working
install of XP. Edubuntu was installed again without any problem and all
hardware and software worked satisfactorily.

On booting, the menu was obtained with the various options and selecting
Edubuntu gave a working set up. However, when Windows XP was selected it
gave the dreaded blue screen with the error message 'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT
VOLUME'. I tried chkdsk /r and got the message that there were several
unrepairable problems.

I am tempted to go back to square one and install Edubuntu without
Windows XP but would prefer a dual boot set up. Can any one please
advise me on what I should do next in order to be able to achieve the
objective.

Norman