Old 06-26-2008, 03:06 PM
"Barb A. Tabor"

Default Gconf-editor

Hello. I am attemping to lockdown certain things on my thin clients. I was going by these directions from the Edubuntu FAQ page...
How do I lock down user desktops and other aspects of the system?

GConf is a good place to start. Here are some useful GConf keys to set as mandatory:

/apps/panel/global: locked_down

/desktop/gnome/background: picture_filename /home/share/backgrounds/picture.jpg

/desktop/gnome/lockdown: disable_lock_screen

/apps/metacity/global_keybindings: Go here to disable/set
keybindings (such as removing the default ALT+F2 = run dialogue so
students cannot arbitrarily run any program on the system)

/apps/gnome_settings_daemon/screensaver: start_screensaver

/desktop/gnome/lockdown: disable_user_switching

/apps/panel/global/disabled_applets: A list of applets you can
disable. This was relevant when removing fast-user-switch and deskbar
applets, as Gnome would complain upon login of every user that it
couldn't load the applet (they are defaulted to load even when the
packages are removed)

/apps/panel/toplevels/*/background: Will be good for setting panel translucency/color for administrator accounts
But, when I attempt to do any of these things, I get the message "The application "gconf-editor" attempted to change an aspect of your configuration that your system administrator or operating system vendor does not allow you to change. Some of the settings you have selected may not take effect, or may not be restored next time you use the application."
What am I doing wrong???
Thanks.* Barb

Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Amichai Rotman

Hi all,
I am trying to disable the lock for the Gnome Panel in Ubuntu Netbook. I know I can choose another type of session (like GNOME) for a normal desktop, but I don't like it. I just want to unlock the panel and leave all the rest as it is.

I have noticed there is an entry in gconf-editor for it under /apps/panel/global, but it isn't checked. Further digging brought me to another entry with <schema> as value. I can't find a way to edit it. How can i change this specific setting?

Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Basil Chupin

On 22/10/2010 01:03, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to disable the lock for the Gnome Panel in Ubuntu Netbook.
> I know I can choose another type of session (like GNOME) for a normal
> desktop, but I don't like it. I just want to unlock the panel and
> leave all the rest as it is.
>
> I have noticed there is an entry in gconf-editor for it under
> /apps/panel/global, but it isn't checked. Further digging brought me
> to another entry with <schema> as value. I can't find a way to edit
> it. How can i change this specific setting?
>
> Thanks!
Right click on entry and choose Edit?

BC

--
"If it weren't for electricity we'd be all watching television by candlelight."
George Gobel

Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Amichai Rotman

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 02:21, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 22/10/2010 01:03, Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Hi all,

> I am trying to disable the lock for the Gnome Panel in Ubuntu Netbook.

> I know I can choose another type of session (like GNOME) for a normal

> desktop, but I don't like it. I just want to unlock the panel and

> leave all the rest as it is.

> I have noticed there is an entry in gconf-editor for it under

> /apps/panel/global, but it isn't checked. Further digging brought me

> to another entry with <schema> as value. I can't find a way to edit

> it. How can i change this specific setting?

> Thanks!

Right click on entry and choose Edit?

BC

--

"If it weren't for electricity we'd be all watching television by candlelight."

Of course I tried that! I wouldn't bother you all with this if it were that simple.
Can anyone point me to a comprehensive resource to learn about GConf?

Thanks!*--

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Karl Auer

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 12:11 +0200, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> > I have noticed there is an entry in gconf-editor for it
> under
> > /apps/panel/global, but it isn't checked.

Tell us the exact entry.

> Further digging brought me
> > to another entry with <schema> as value.

Tell us the exact entry.

> I can't find a way to edit
> > it. How can i change this specific setting?

If it's a string, try left-clicking on the actual word "schema". If
necessary, left click on it again - it may become editable. That's what
other text entries do, anyway.

You should also see some text in the bottom right of the window
explaining what the selected item is for and its permissible values.
Make the window bigger if not, just to make sure.

Regards, K.