Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 PM
"Dorminy, Bill"

Default Edubuntu Filter Server

Hello all,

I am using Edubuntu with Dansguardian, Tinyproxy, and Firehol as a temporary URL filtering server. I have set Internet Explorer to use the server Ip and port 8080 as a proxy which is working great, however I am having trouble blocking secure proxy (https://) sites. Can anyone tell me how to filter https sites with Dansguardian?

Thanks,

Bill

DCSS

Old 06-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Gerald Drouillard

Dorminy, Bill wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am using Edubuntu with Dansguardian, Tinyproxy, and Firehol as a temporary URL filtering server. I have set Internet Explorer to use the server Ip and port 8080 as a proxy which is working great, however I am having trouble blocking secure proxy (https://) sites. Can anyone tell me how to filter https sites with Dansguardian?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>
> DCSS
Try using opendns.org with a combination of this script to run every
hour or so:

#!/bin/sh
valid_dotted_quad()
{
ERROR=0
oldIFS=$IFS
IFS=.
set -f
set -- $1
if [ $# -eq 4 ]
then
for seg
do
case $seg in
""|*[!0-9]*) ERROR=1;break ;;
*) [ $seg -gt 255 ] && ERROR=2 ;;
esac
done
else
ERROR=3
fi
IFS=$oldIFS
set +f
return $ERROR
}
YESTERDAY=`date --date='1 days ago'`
D=`date --date="$YESTERDAY" +%-d`
M=`date --date="$YESTERDAY" +%-m`
Y=`date --date="$YESTERDAY" +%-Y`
TESTLOG=/tmp/proxy_test.txt
BLOCK_DOMAIN=/tmp/proxy_block_domain.log
BLOCK_IP=/tmp/proxy_block_ip.log
HOST=/etc/hosts
RULES=/etc/dansguardian/bannedsitelist
BLOCK_PRE=""
#rm $BLOCK_DOMAIN
#touch $BLOCK_DOMAIN
#echo
#echo "*** DansGuardian DENIED Report ***"
#cat /var/log/dansguardian/access.log |grep -w "$Y.$M.$D" |grep "DENIED"
cat /var/log/dansguardian/access.log |grep
'/loader-counter.js?hostname='|awk {'print $5'}|cut -c 8-|sort -u|cut
-d/ -f 1 >$TESTLOG
changed=0
for DOMAIN in `cat $TESTLOG`; do
if ! grep -q "$DOMAIN" "$RULES"; then
echo
echo $DOMAIN
if valid_dotted_quad "$DOMAIN"; then
BLOCK_PRE="*"
else
BLOCK_PRE=""
fi
echo "$BLOCK_PRE""$DOMAIN" >> $RULES
changed=1
fi
done
if [ $changed = 1 ]; then
/etc/init.d/dansguardian restart
fi

--
Regards

Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
"Greg Reagle"

The web browsers need to be configured to use a proxy server for HTTPS,
in addition to HTTP. Here is how I did it for Firefox on Edubuntu on
May 20:
I configured Firefox on the Edubuntu system to use Dan's guardian as the
proxy for SSL (HTTPS) (in addition to http) by adding:
pref("network.proxy.ssl", "localhost");
pref("network.proxy.ssl_port", 8080);
to /etc/firefox/pref/firefox.js

For Internet Explorer 6, the protocol is called "Secure:".

Please let me know if this works or if you have any further questions.
Thanks.

--
greg reagle | computer technician, system administrator | community it
innovators - CITI | 202-234-1600 ext. 353