-   -   Lockdown Clients (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/112693-lockdown-clients.html)

Steve Wu 06-24-2008 03:04 PM

Lockdown Clients

We're testing out the new 8.04 release of Edubuntu and I would like to know the best way to lockdown the clients. I installed the lockdown editor, but that appears to lockdown only the desktop you are logged into and it seems anyone can change the lockdown settings. Is there away to add client machines to a group and then lock them down?

I'm a newbie at this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

"Krsnendu dasa" 06-25-2008 08:02 AM

Lockdown Clients

Sabayon is the program for gnome. But it seems to be broken.
For KDE I think it is called Kiosk tool.

"Joseph Hartman" 06-25-2008 07:02 PM

Lockdown Clients

The best solution I've found for this is the kiosk mode in XFCE:
http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/kiosk_mode

Here is what my kioskrc file looks like:

[xfdesktop]
UserMenu=aeinstein
CustomizeBackdrop=aeinstein
CustomizeDesktopMenu=aeinstein
CustomizeWindowlist=aeinstein
CustomizeDesktopIcons=aeinstein

[xfce4-panel]
CustomizePanel=aeinstein

[xfce4-session]
CustomizeSplash=aeinstein
CustomizeChooser=aeinstein
CustomizeLogout=aeinstein
CustomizeCompatibility=aeinstein
Shutdown=aeinstein
CustomizeSecurity=aeinstein

This locks down everything for all users except user "aeinstein"

I wanted a custom backdrop on all the student computers so I made one in GIMP, named it "xubuntu-jmak.png" and saved it in usr/share/xfce4/backdrops

I also wanted a custom homepage for all the student computers so I created a file called "user.js" in usr/lib/firefox-3.0/defaults/profile with this code:

user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.aeacs.org");

user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_reset", "http://www.aeacs.org");

The custom homepage only works for users who have never logged on before though.

I haven't tried KDE's kiosk mode yet, but this one works great and Xubuntu is stellar on our older hardware. Cheers! -joe

Subject:*Lockdown Clients