Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 AM
"Adam LaMee"

Default Linux in Education workshops?

The recently-posted information about the FOSSED conference has me*interested in*talking face-to-face and getting some hands-on experience setting up a Linux lab for my high school physics classroom. *I've slowly been acquiring 'phased-out' PCs and got to install Edubuntu 8.04 right before the year ended. *They ran great, but I'd like to dedicate one as a server for file storage and authentication. *I have zero experience in this realm, but I've read the Ed- & Ubuntu handbooks various knowledgebases. *Does anyone have FOSSED testimonials or*recommendations*of other workshops/conferences geared toward teachers setting up a Linux network?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Uwe Geercken

Adam,

I did not see any answers, so I though I might jump in.

if you have phased out computers, as you say, then I guess you have
Edubuntu installed on each of them. for the authentication part, I am
not the right person but there is a lot of information available on
the net and of course it depends on your setup and if you already have
- typically a windows based authentication in place.

I assume you have a network available to connect the computers. for
the filesharing part, you can take one of the pc's and define an area
where files are stored and use NFS to access the files. it can be
setup so that different users can only access their files if you want
to. there is lots of information on NFS available and it is easy to
setup.

as you mention Edubuntu, another idea could be to buy or use an
existing computer as a server and use the phased out computers as
terminals or also called thin clients. in this szenario you only need
low end computers. but a strong(er) server. what strong means depends
basically on the number of users and the complexity of the tasks. if
you would go this way, you store and share the data and programs that
are on the server.

we have done this at our school, because we were not allowed to modify
the setup of the existing computers. so we bought a server for around
800? and user the existing windows computers to boot from the edubuntu
server. not a single change on the windows computers was required.

hope this helps a little bit. if you have more questions. don't
hesitate to ask.

rgds,

uwe