Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Luis Montes

Default 64 bit ltsp vs. virtualization

I'm placing an order today for a new server. The school I'm using it at
has about 75 thin clients.
Currently we're using an smbldap serer and two dual-core 4GB ram servers.

I'm gonna spend 5 or 6 K today on a 64bit 8-core 16GB ram monster. (well
monster compared to what I have right now)

Now I'd like to just add this new box to the network as another ltsp
server using 64 bit edubuntu or fedora+ltsp, but so far my couple of
months with a 64 bit desktop have me thinking this might not be the best
approach.

The main problem I have is that Adobe's has yet to get off their butts
and product a 64bit flash plugin. I know I can use the nspluginwrapper
but it only seems to work about half the time, and when it does work,
half the time sound doesn't. I imagine that sound through the thin
clients will be even more troublesome.

The other option I have is to load centos5.1 or ubuntu 8.04 on the new
server and something like vmware server to slice it up with 4 or so
32bit guests.

That second option seems like a waste of resources, but it may give me
less headaches.

Surely there are other ltsp users in the same boat right now?
Thoughts?

Thanks,
Luis

Old 06-23-2008, 04:28 PM
francois

Le lundi 23 juin 2008 à 07:49 -0700, Luis Montes a écrit :
> Now I'd like to just add this new box to the network as another ltsp
> server using 64 bit edubuntu or fedora+ltsp, but so far my couple of
> months with a 64 bit desktop have me thinking this might not be the
> best
> approach.

Remembering many discuss about 64b vs 32b ltsp make me feel that there
is few power to gain and much troubles.

In order to use 16 gb ram, you can install the -server kernel and
install a 32 b server with 32b clients.

Regards,

François

Old 06-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Luis Montes

francois wrote:
> Le lundi 23 juin 2008 à 07:49 -0700, Luis Montes a écrit :
>
>> Now I'd like to just add this new box to the network as another ltsp
>> server using 64 bit edubuntu or fedora+ltsp, but so far my couple of
>> months with a 64 bit desktop have me thinking this might not be the
>> best
>> approach.
>>

> Remembering many discuss about 64b vs 32b ltsp make me feel that there
> is few power to gain and much troubles.
>
> In order to use 16 gb ram, you can install the -server kernel and
> install a 32 b server with 32b clients.
>
> Regards,
>
> François

I'm going to give the server kernel (PAE right?) a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

Luis