Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Jonathan Carter

Default Dual Core - Are Both Cores Being Used?

Hi oe1

(ew, that could also spell Outlook Express 1!)

operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> how do i know both cores are being used on my amd dual core terminal server?

From the command line, you could run:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

It will show you a detailed report of your CPU.

From Gnome, you can also click on System -> Administration -> System
Monitor. On the resources tab it will show a graph of total CPU usage,
and the number of CPU's will be displayed right below the graph.

I like using htop (you'll have to install the htop package first though)
to view processes and CPU load. Your mileage may vary

> i ran into this edubuntu testimonial
>
> http://manueldublan.org/computerlab/
>
> and noticed the following comment...
>
> "We setup edubunut to run with a smp kernel to use the power of both cores and that makes a huge difference."
>
> how does that apply to gutsy and hardy?

They should both give you smp kernels by default. The only kernel that
doesn't give you SMP, afaik, is the plain old -i386 kernel. To check
your running kernel, type:
$ uname -a

If it's -generic or -server, then you'll be fine.

HTH

-Jonathan