Old 06-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Wolfgang Bogenrieder

Default LTSP falling back to initramfs

Hi,

I have some serious problems in thin clients coming up.

I have an AMD64 dual core server and first made an amd64 installation of
edubuntu, but clients are i386 as usual.
On boot up the client was trying to start the loaded 64bit kernel
(generated through setup installation and configuring, why 64bit client
kernel as default ??) and fails, but no change on installed edubuntu to
do an update client kernel to i386 arch.

Therefor I did a new clean i386 installation on server. Now client is
with this fancy orange moving startup screen. However, after a few
seconds this procedure fails and client falls back to initramfs,
clearing screen and wiping all debug messages possibly coming up before.

Any chance to debug this ? Which scripts are processed during session
initializing ? Can I put some echoes to the scripts with output on
server (I can, but how) ? Worth to listen with wireshark to
client-server communication ? Any known bug to this issue (I found a
possible bug, #156229 ltsp_config, but descriped in gutsy release, tried
eliminating it, but failed too) ?

Please, if you have an good, efficient idea to solve this, tell me and
don't tell me fool, I lost sufficient live time.

Greetings, Felix

Thanks for help !!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
"David Van Assche"

Hi Wolfgang,
** First thing to do is check that there are no other dhcp servers on your ltsp network interfering with the startup process (ie. router on same subnet.) Then you can disable the 'fancy orange moving' screen by taking out splash and taking out quiet from /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default

That should give you* some more debug info to go on...

Good Luck,
David