Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 AM
"Butch Arias"

Default Problem installing server kernel

Thank you for the help you have been posting. Your replies are all very helpful and clear.

Our
school decided to install the 8.04 Edubuntu from scratch - I believe a
clean install will be a better choice (our first installation was the
Edubuntu 6.06 which worked perfectly). It has been almost two weeks of
some failure on my part with the 8.04.

After
installation (including the add-on cd) , the computer SERVER works with
a GUI -*
but the problem is that the thin clients do not have the GUI. The LTSP
works, the fact that the thin clients boot. This is
surprising, the server may not need the GUI but the students in their
thin clients need the GUI. Did I miss something in the installation?
How do I configure the thin clients to have a GUI? The GUI appears in
the thin clients of both* 7.04 and 7.10, so I think the thin clients
should also work with the 8.04.

We expect to have over 40 thin clients (our target is 48) connected
to the server and
I believe I need more than 4 GB or usable RAM. Using the generic linux
kernel, the computer recognizes only 3.5GB RAM but with 8GB installed.
Interestingly, the swap file is 9+ GB or almost 10GB which means the
installation may have recognised the 8GB (is it mem size=default swap
file?). Up to this point, the generic-flavor works well. The problem
starts after installing the server-kernel:* every time the server
kernel is installed, the whole thing freezes during the boot process
and the OS needs to be re-installed again.

I believe that the 8.04 is really great, only I (could have) made
some
mistakes in the installation of the system or misunderstood the server
kernel
installation - (I belonged to the generation of programmers who used
line numbers in FORTRAN in the IBM S/360). In the GRUB boot process the
optional 'esc' key shows linux-server-normal, linux-server recovery,
linux-generic
normal, and linux- generic recovery modes which means the server flavor
was
installed (though I believe incorrectly because the system does not
work). It is selecting the server mode (either nornal or recovery) that
causes the system to grind into a very slow movement - I tried waiting
for more than three hours and server was still booting-up. By the way,
the server kernel I used is the one found in the
server cd of 8.04, because I could not locate the server flavor neither
in the alternate installation cd nor in the add-on cd. Should I use
this, or should I use another kernel - direct from the internet?

Any
help will be appreciated. Classes in the Philippines resumed two weeks
ago, and our computer laboratory is still not running - but for sure, the promise of the* 8.04 is worth all the wait.

And thank you a million indeed for all the help. More power to people like you.

Cheers,

Butch Arias

Saint Philomena School
Lucena City, PHILIPPINES

Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Gavin McCullagh

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Butch Arias wrote:

> After installation (including the add-on cd) , the computer SERVER works
> with a GUI - but the problem is that the thin clients do not have the
> GUI.

How many thin clients is this a problem on? All of them? When you say the
GUI doesn't work, what do you actually see? Is it a plain text login
prompt or something else?

> The LTSP works, the fact that the thin clients boot. This is
> surprising, the server may not need the GUI but the students in their
> thin clients need the GUI. Did I miss something in the installation? How
> do I configure the thin clients to have a GUI? The GUI appears in the
> thin clients of both 7.04 and 7.10, so I think the thin clients should
> also work with the 8.04.

Can you send us a copy of the file:

/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

so we can see what your LTSP settings are.

Something you could try would be a rebuild of the LTSP image:

sudo ltsp-build-client

> We expect to have over 40 thin clients (our target is 48) connected to
> the server and I believe I need more than 4 GB or usable RAM. Using the
> generic linux kernel, the computer recognizes only 3.5GB RAM but with 8GB
> installed.

You need to install the -server kernel to get > 4GB RAM on a 32-bit system.
The 64-bit kernels would all support this, but there are other difficulties
with the 64-bit (eg flash will be a problem).

sudo apt-get install linux-image-server

> Interestingly, the swap file is 9+ GB or almost 10GB which
> means the installation may have recognised the 8GB (is it mem
> size=default swap file?). Up to this point, the generic-flavor works
> well. The problem starts after installing the server-kernel: every time
> the server kernel is installed, the whole thing freezes during the boot
> process and the OS needs to be re-installed again.

Can you not just reboot and choose the generic kernel rather than
reinstalling when this happens? What errors do you get when the freeze
happens? If you could try rebooting, we can debug a little:

1. After the BIOS you should get a short GRUB countdown. You can press
escape at this point to get into grub (this will also allow you to
choose the -generic kernel).
2. In the menu, select the -server kernel and press 'e'
3. You will see four options for this kernel. Move down to the "kernel"
line and press 'e'.
4. You will be able to edit these kernel options now. Remove "quiet" and
"splash". Press return.
5. Press 'b'

This will boot the server kernel with full debug output. If you can watch
it and then tell us what errors you get around the crash time, we may be
able to work out your problem.

> tried waiting for more than three hours and server was still booting-up.
> By the way, the server kernel I used is the one found in the server cd of
> 8.04, because I could not locate the server flavor neither in the
> alternate installation cd nor in the add-on cd. Should I use this, or
> should I use another kernel - direct from the internet?

I would suggest you get the machine online with the working kernel and
update the available packages. There have been a number of fixes to the
kernel since hardy was released. You should use the latest (which won't be
on the CD).

Gavin

Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 AM
"Butch Arias"

How many thin clients is this a problem on? *All of them? *When you say the

GUI doesn't work, what do you actually see? *Is it a plain text login

prompt or something else?*
For the 8.04, all thin clients. the initramfs screen is shown on the clients but the edubuntu desktop is shown on the server.

Can you send us a copy of the file:

* * * */opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

so we can see what your LTSP settings are.

Something you could try would be a rebuild of the LTSP image:

* * * *sudo ltsp-build-client

I will try doing this during the weekend. I reinstalled the 7.04 and did not have any problems with 28 thin clients. The clients boot in just a few seconds, very very fast. Will try with 34 day after next.

[...]

On the 8.04 that was what I did during the weekend (a few hours before a super storm decided to change its path and crossed near our area). The generic boots OK if that was selected as the boot. But I have reinstalled the 7.04 so that the students will able to use the computers. Of course I know the 8.04 is better.

> tried waiting for more than three hours and server was still booting-up.

> By the way, the server kernel I used is the one found in the server cd of

> 8.04, because I could not locate the server flavor neither in the

> alternate installation cd nor in the add-on cd. Should I use this, or

> should I use another kernel - direct from the internet?

I would suggest you get the machine online with the working kernel and

update the available packages. *There have been a number of fixes to the

kernel since hardy was released. *You should use the latest (which won't be

on the CD).

Okay, I guess I could do this over the weekend when the computer laboratory is all quiet. I am sorry I won't able to send the debug output as I have done a re-installation of 7.04. I will try a redo this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Butch Arias wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > How many thin clients is this a problem on? All of them? When you say the
> > GUI doesn't work, what do you actually see? Is it a plain text login
> > prompt or something else?
>
> For the 8.04, all thin clients. the initramfs screen is shown on the clients
> but the edubuntu desktop is shown on the server.

Ah, so it's not booting correctly. What does the initramfs screen say?

The rebuild i mentioned might sort this out.

Gavin