Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 PM
dbclinton

Default thin client error message

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 19:07 -0400, Barb A. Tabor wrote:

> Hello. I get this error message when trying to boot thin clients to
> Hardy server: PXE-E38 TFTP cannot open connection. Does anyone know
> what I need to do to fix it?
> Thanks. Barb

Hello,

http://ftp.censoft.com/PIXIL_Thin_Client_AG.pdf

might be helpful (here's the money quote)
=======================
PXE-E38: TFTP cannot open connection
The PIXIL thin client could not find the server with the proper boot
files on it.
1. Check the /etc/dhcpd.conf file to ensure that the “next-server” line
has the proper IP address on it. This should be the same as the IP
address of the PIXIL CS server that you set. Make sure you reboot after
changing these settings.
This conversation also looks promising:

http://www.mail-archive.com/edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com/msg01335.html

You might want to check the Internet for the error code ("PXE-E38 TFTP
cannot open connection") and let Google do its magic

I will add that I had similar problems setting up my network and finally
concluded that some NICs simply aren't up to the task.

Good luck,
David