Old 06-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Peter

Default 7.10 Server freezing

After months of testing, I made our edubuntu thin client system live
and it froze ... twice... and I can't figure out why.

We're using Edubuntu 7.10.
We're running a dell poweredge, 2.8ghz p4 (I'm sure it's a 2.something
p4), 1gb ram, raid 1 array of 200GB+ with 5 clients (1ghz p3, 256MB
ram). All 10/100 network equipment.

When any of the clients boot and log in, it's fast...so nice and fast.
But after the system has been running a few hours and students begin
to use it (and I'm not there). It freezes hard. I *think* it freezes
hard b/c I haven't tested pinging it when it's down. But it doens't
reply to anything including ctrl-alt-bkspace, or ctrl-alt-f1. And I
know the /var/log/messages file stops creating --MARK-- entries
during this time. When I find it frozen, there is video, but no
response to mouse or keyboard.

In our tests, we only experimented with 1 client. Could 5 clients
create too much demand on our server? I recently installed the ssl
update and rebuilt the images...could I have done something wrong
there? And one more detail: we're posting our username-password info
per computer...it's conceivable that one user might be getting signed
in more than once. Would that do it? Or how about using Adobe Flash 9?

thx so much,
-peter
Bard High School Early College
NY, NY

Old 06-15-2008, 05:50 PM
dbclinton

I can certainly rule out two of your potential problems: your hardware
configuration should easily work for five clients (I've done it on a
very similar system) and logging in a user more than once should not
freeze the system (although it can have an interesting effect on the
first desktop's functionality).
Good luck,
David Clinton

Old 06-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Peter

Thanks, That's good to know.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:13 PM
"Harry Sweet"

Hey, my nephew graduated from your school last year.*
*
Sounds strange.* My server occasionally freezes 7.10 and now 8.04, but
that has usually just been Gnome on the server.*** You can try to use putty
to log in remotely and restart.* If that works.
*
You can also run top or htop to watch the thing die in realtime.* Might tell you something.
I can see when I run out of memory on my box and what processes are running.
*
What software are the kids running when the thing dies?
*
*
harry sweet
Goshen High School

Old 06-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Peter

Cool about your nephew.

I could also killx on my server when I"m not there...and have top
running. That's a good idea.

I assume they're running openoffice and firefox. We haven't done any
teaching about available software; we just plopped down the edubuntu
instead of the winXP.

-peter