Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"

Default Hardy server won't start after upgrade

I have been running Hardy ok for a few weeks. This morning I did an
upgrade using Update Manager and now it won't boot up.
When loading avahi-daemon it hangs for a while then says fail. After
that the boot up fails until it hangs when it gets to starting Gnome
Display Manager.
What should I do?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"

More info
It also says:-
When starting avahi:

Timeout reached while waiting for return value.
Did not receive return value from daemon process. fail

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
"Charles Austin"

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108@gmail.com> wrote:
> More info
> It also says:-
> When starting avahi:
>
> Timeout reached while waiting for return value.
> Did not receive return value from daemon process. fail
>
> 2008/6/9 Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108@gmail.com>:
>> I have been running Hardy ok for a few weeks. This morning I did an
>> upgrade using Update Manager and now it won't boot up.
>> When loading avahi-daemon it hangs for a while then says fail. After
>> that the boot up fails until it hangs when it gets to starting Gnome
>> Display Manager.
>> What should I do?

Since Gnome is not starting, you will have to use one of the consoles:
ctrl+alt+F1
This will give you a terminal window where you can log in. If F1 does
not work, try F2, etc.

If this fails, try to boot into single user mode:
Esc during the Grub message, choose "recovery mode" option.

Once you are logged in, one of the best places to look for clues is in
the dmesg files.
sudo less /var/log/dmesg

There should be some more specific info on the type of error your
system is experiencing towards the end of the file.

Keep us posted,
Charles

Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"

I have lilo not grub because last time I installed I used LVM and
Hardy to defaults to LILO for that. (Not sure why.) How do I access
recovery mode using lilo?

I am guessing the avahi problem is connected to network interface
problems (motherboard) as I have been having network problems with
this box. Just put in fresh memory but perhaps that didn't fix the
problem.

Still. I'm not sure why gnome won't start just because avahi won't
start perhaps the errors are unrelated.
I tried alt-ctrl-2. After entering my username and password, the intro
text came, but the command line prompt never appeared.
I tried ssh into the machine. I was prompted to accept the key, but
after that got "Connection closed by host."

Help!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:02 PM
"Charles Austin"

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have lilo not grub because last time I installed I used LVM and
> Hardy to defaults to LILO for that. (Not sure why.) How do I access
> recovery mode using lilo?

You will have to google for that one - I have not used LILO. It may
not be called "recovery mode" in LILO, the proper term for it is
"single user mode". In Fedora, for instance, you have to interrupt
the boot loader by striking a key before the delay timer expires, then
selecting the kernel to load, then typing "e" to edit the loader for
that kernel, and type an "s" at the end of the line (for single user
mode).

> Still. I'm not sure why gnome won't start just because avahi won't
> start perhaps the errors are unrelated.
> I tried alt-ctrl-2. After entering my username and password, the intro
> text came, but the command line prompt never appeared.

Troubling. The OS certainly is struggling with something. Single
user, or recovery, mode is the best option.

> I tried ssh into the machine. I was prompted to accept the key, but
> after that got "Connection closed by host."

If you suspect the Network card, this is not surprising.

If all else fails, burn a "live" CD (Knoppix) and boot your machine
from that. You should get full access to your drives, and should be
able to edit the boot loader conf file to get the system into single
user mode (again, you will need to google for the changes to do this
in LILO). Worst case, from a "Live CD" OS you copy off critical
directories in the event you cannot restore this installation.

Charles

Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
"Ville Pöntinen"

2008/6/9 Charles Austin <ceaustin@gmail.com>:
> If all else fails, burn a "live" CD (Knoppix) and boot your machine
> from that. You should get full access to your drives, and should be
> able to edit the boot loader conf file to get the system into single
> user mode (again, you will need to google for the changes to do this
> in LILO). Worst case, from a "Live CD" OS you copy off critical
> directories in the event you cannot restore this installation.
>
> Charles

With live-CD (Knoppix or Ubuntu) you can also chroot yourself to
Ubuntu on hard drive and try updating/fixing system. Much like
chrooting to /opt. On my computer like this:

sudo mkdir /temp
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /temp
sudo chroot /temp

Replace /dev/sda2 with your Ubuntu-partition which you can find out
with sudo fdisk -l.

Ville Pöntinen
Raisio, Finland

Old 06-09-2008, 09:10 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"

I disabled the onboard network card in bios and now it starts. The
second network card still works fine. I guess it is back to the store
for another motherboard. In the meantime I will add another card and
see how things go. Thanks for the tips.