-   -   hardy: unable to change root passwd on thinclient image (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/100974-hardy-unable-change-root-passwd-thinclient-image.html)

john 06-04-2008 09:35 PM

hardy: unable to change root passwd on thinclient image

Hi all,

I am trying to get root access on the thin clients running on my
install of Edubuntu/Hardy. I did:

sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
issued the "passwd" command and changed the password
Then I did:

sudo ltsp-update-image

and rebooted the thin client

However, when I do ctrl + alt + F1 and try and log in as root on the
client I get the following message:

"your account has expired, please contact your system administrator"

I hope someone can help out!

Thanks,

John

"Ville Pöntinen" 06-05-2008 08:57 PM

2008/6/5 john <lists.john@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to get root access on the thin clients running on my
> install of Edubuntu/Hardy. I did:
>
> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
> issued the "passwd" command and changed the password
> Then I did:
>
> sudo ltsp-update-image
>
> and rebooted the thin client

Hi!

I am not able to test this now, but shuold You do this in reverse
order? First update-image (if/when needed) and then chroot in opt and
set the password.

Ville Pöntinen
Raisio, Finland

john 06-12-2008 10:57 PM

hardy: unable to change root passwd on thinclient image

Hi Ville et al.

> I am not able to test this now, but shuold You do this in reverse
> order? First update-image (if/when needed) and then chroot in opt and
> set the password.

I am pretty sure that the image is built second otherwise it won't
benefit from the password change.
Passing the unlock -u option then rebuilding didn't work either.

I haven't been able to get rebuild this image so that I can get in to
it. Has anyone _ever_ managed to get into a client image on LTSP 8.04?
If so did you follow the same steps I did? I am trying to decide
whether to migrate from 7.04 to 8.10 this summer on 100+ clients and
not being able to access the images for debug would be a show stopper.

John