Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Brian Russell

Default Tablets & Getting Involved

Recently I sent a email, similar to the one bellow, to the folks at
Edubuntu. A kind fellow suggested I send it to this list.

The announcement of Ubuntu coming to tablets is exciting! I'm sure
many people are thinking about this for education. I sure am.

I really believe that ALL students should have leading edge
technology. Not ancient PC hand me downs. I hope NGOs, schools, and
orgs like mine can bridge the financial and knowledge gaps with
students and their parents.

Right now I'm working to bring Chromebooks to students without
computers. Our project to do so is in a beta test phase. I'd like to
find ways to leap frog laptops and goto tablets soon. Ideally with
Linux based devices. Any help you could provide me is appreciated.

I want to roll up my sleeves and get involved! I'm still trying to
find out the best way to do this in the Edubuntu community. I've used
Linux for over 10 years. Mostly in support of web development and
design. Plus I've done some tech support at a largish University.
Right now I'd like to find ways to build Ubuntu on new tablets for
students. Specifically customizing edubuntu images for school or
student use cases.

Cheers,
-Brian Russell
Founder and Chairman of Orange Networking
orangenetworking.org

Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 AM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Brian!

I want to roll up my sleeves and get involved! I'm still trying to
find out the best way to do this in the Edubuntu community. I've used
Linux for over 10 years. Mostly in support of web development and
design. Plus I've done some tech support at a largish University.
Right now I'd like to find ways to build Ubuntu on new tablets for
students. Specifically customizing edubuntu images for school or
student use cases.

Welcome to Edubuntu! We should probably do a Google+ hangout some time
and properly talk about tablets. We attempted that a while ago but
haven't quite figured out yet how the hangouts work.

Do you have any hardware to test on?

Have a good day!

-Jonathan