-   Edubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/)
-   -   New Comer to Open Source - Help! (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/712682-new-comer-open-source-help.html)

Roopa 12-17-2012 12:55 AM

New Comer to Open Source - Help!

Hi all,
Am Roopa, a final year B.E., student of computer science branch, I have got only very little knowledge about the basic working of Unix/Linux OS. Am a very big fan of Ubuntu Open Source projects. Also, am keenly interested in contributing to the projects at Ubuntu and have hence subscribed to edubuntu.

As far as i know about myself, am good at coding, and am looking out for improving the same to make it productive and helpful. Am mad about programming for an OS, but the fact is i know very little about its functioning! Kindly help me in getting started and achieve what i have dreamed of.

Kindly reply at the earliest. Waiting humbly for your Positive reply.

Thanks in Advance,
Roopa
--
Be brave. Remember, courage is acting with fear, not without it. If the challenge is important to you, you're supposed to be nervous; we only worry about things we care about. - Walter Anderson

Scott Howard 12-17-2012 06:06 PM

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Roopa <roopabdr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Am Roopa, a final year B.E., student of computer science branch, I have got
> only very little knowledge about the basic working of Unix/Linux OS. Am a
> very big fan of Ubuntu Open Source projects. Also, am keenly interested in
> contributing to the projects at Ubuntu and have hence subscribed to
> edubuntu.

Hi Roopa,
Thanks for your interest! Most open source projects really on
contributors to find something they want to work on and fix it. A good
intro on areas where work can be done is here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu

I think you'd specifically be interested in bug fixing and Ubuntu
maintenance. Ubuntu (and Debian) maintenance principals apply to
Edubuntu packages.
~Scott