Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Default KDE Education Status in Edubuntu

Hi Everyone

For this cycle we're looking at which KDE Education packages we ship and
whether we need to make any changes, ie: are there any major
applications we're missing? or are there some that needs to be replaced?
are they all available in the Ubuntu archives? We haven't done this
exercise in a while, so this is our KDE Edu checkup that we plan to do
at the beginning of every cycle from now on.

Here is a comparison of what we have in Edubuntu and what's available
upstream:

== Preschool Level ==

http://edu.kde.org/applications/preschool/

Package Shipped
------------------------
Blinken Yes
KLettres No, available in Ubuntu archives
Pairs No, unavailable in Debian and Ubuntu

== School Level ==

http://edu.kde.org/applications/school/

Package Shipped
------------------------
KAlgebra No, available in Ubuntu archives
Kalzium Yes
Kanagram Yes
KBruch Yes
KGeography No, available in Ubuntu archives
KHangMan Yes
Kig Yes
Kiten No, available in Ubuntu archives
KmPlot Yes
KStars No, available in Ubuntu archives
KTouch Yes
KTurtle Yes
KWordQuiz Yes
Marble Yes
Parley Yes

== University Level ==

http://edu.kde.org/applications/university/

Package Shipped
------------------------
Cantor No, available in Ubuntu archives
Rocs No, available in Ubuntu archives
Step Yes

That makes:
* 21 programs
* 13 of which are shipped with Edubuntu
* 1 of which aren't packaged in Ubuntu

== Proposed change ==

* Include the following packages:
* Klettres: good software, we don't currently ship an equivelent
* Pairs: New in KDE 4.9 which Kubuntu plans on packaging for 12.10,
we are invited to assist
* Kalgebra: We stopped shipping this in favour of geogebra, but never
put it back when we stopped shipping geogebra by default

* KGeography: Great software, we should ship it
* KStars: We already ship alternatives, but I believe kstars provides
some simplicity and speed that makes it worth while shipping anyway

* Unsure:
* Kiten: Japanese learning tool, might not be specific enough, takes
18.4MB of .debs and 47.1MB of uncompressed disk space (I'd say leave it
and feature it in Software Center instead)
* Cantor: Provides a front-end to various mathematical back-ends
(kalgebra, maxima, r project, sage mathematics, octave, scilab,
qalculate) - we've always been short on university level software so
this might be a good inclusion (although I don't know exactly how to use
it yet, we might have to source some testers)

* Rocs: a graph theory IDE, similar situation to cantor.

It doesn't seem worth while removing anything that we currently ship at
this point. If you have any feedback, comments or questions, please fire
away.

-Jonathan

Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi

[...]

I'm going ahead with this. We'll review all seed changes again before
feature freeze. In the meantime, feedback is welcome.

-Jonathan