Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Stéphane Graber

Default Getting rid of python-central and python-support for 12.04

On 12/20/2011 10:26 AM, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> One of our goals for 12.04 is to be an LTS, which means supporting
> all of Edubuntu 12.04 for 3 to 5 years. To make that easier, we're
> trying to limit our dependencies as much as possible.
>
> We already got rid of freemind and geogebra to avoid inheriting all
> of java and it's now time to look at our python packages.
>
> A quick look shows the following list of packages that we ship and
> rely on python-central or python-support:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BarryWarsaw/PythonHelpers calibre
> edubuntu-menueditor (python-central) lybniz
> (python-central) opendict (python-central)
> python-cherrypy3 (python-support) python-gevent
> (python-support) python-pyparsing (python-support)
> python-wxgtk2.8 (python-central) python-wxversion
> (python-central) python-x2go
>
> (calibre and python-x2go depend on one of the others but aren't
> themselves using python-support or python-central)
>
> The idea is to go through the list above and convert the packaging
> to dh_python2 which is the supported way of doing python packaging
> nowadays.
>
> The conversion steps look like: 1) Check on Debian's side for a
> newer version of the package already using dh_python2 2) Check on
> Debian's side for a patch on the bug tracker that we could use 3)
> Check on Ubuntu's side for a patch on the bug tracker that we could
> use 4) Convert the packaging yourself 5) Submit any change back to
> Debian 6) Upload
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BarryWarsaw/PythonHelpers provides some
> more information.
>
> I'll be having a look at the package list above over the next few
> days, at least convert any of these packages that's only in Ubuntu
> and look for existing fixes in Debian.
>
> If you want to help, feel free to pick any of these, just make sure
> to reply to this post so we all know who's doing what.
>
> Thanks

I just converted and uploaded edubuntu-menueditor.

All the others on the list except wxwidgets2.8 (python-wxgtk2.8 and
python-wxversion) don't have a more recent version in Debian though
they may still have patches available either on Launchpad or on the
Debian BTS.

wxwidgets2.8 has a new version in Debian that uses dh_python2 but it's
a fairly critical library so it's not going to be an easy merge.

- --
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Stéphane Graber

[...]

Uploaded lybniz and submitted the patch to Debian in bug 616882.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Stéphane Graber

[...]

Same for opendict and Debian bug 616926.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Stéphane Graber

[...]

Done for python-gevent too, have to run, will forward to Debian tomorrow.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Scott Howard

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> One of our goals for 12.04 is to be an LTS, which means supporting all
> of Edubuntu 12.04 for 3 to 5 years. To make that easier, we're trying
> to limit our dependencies as much as possible.
>
> We already got rid of freemind and geogebra to avoid inheriting all of
> java and it's now time to look at our python packages.
>
> A quick look shows the following list of packages that we ship and
> rely on python-central or python-support:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BarryWarsaw/PythonHelpers
> calibre
> * *edubuntu-menueditor * * (python-central)
> * *lybniz * * * * * * * * *(python-central)
> * *opendict * * * * * * * *(python-central)
> * *python-cherrypy3 * * * *(python-support)
> * *python-gevent * * * * * (python-support)
> * *python-pyparsing * * * *(python-support)

I'll take python-pyparsing. Patch is already in Debian BTS. I'll need
a sponsor so I'll post the bug for it when it's ready.
~Scott

Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Scott Howard

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> One of our goals for 12.04 is to be an LTS, which means supporting all
>> of Edubuntu 12.04 for 3 to 5 years. To make that easier, we're trying
>> to limit our dependencies as much as possible.
>>
>> We already got rid of freemind and geogebra to avoid inheriting all of
>> java and it's now time to look at our python packages.
>>
>> A quick look shows the following list of packages that we ship and
>> rely on python-central or python-support:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BarryWarsaw/PythonHelpers
>> calibre
>> * *edubuntu-menueditor * * (python-central)
>> * *lybniz * * * * * * * * *(python-central)
>> * *opendict * * * * * * * *(python-central)
>> * *python-cherrypy3 * * * *(python-support)
>> * *python-gevent * * * * * (python-support)
>> * *python-pyparsing * * * *(python-support)
>
> I'll take python-pyparsing. Patch is already in Debian BTS. I'll need
> a sponsor so I'll post the bug for it when it's ready.
> ~Scott

Ready for sponsoring:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pyparsing/+bug/910922

Cheers,
Scott

Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Stéphane Graber

[...]

Thanks!
I just uploaded it to Precise.

That list is getting really short now. The pyparsing one shouldn't be
too difficult, the wx stuff looks a bit scarier (mostly because of the
Ubuntu delta).

As a reminder, we only have these left:
- python-cherrypy3 (python-support) (source: cherrypy3)
- python-wxgtk2.8 (python-central) (source: wxwidgets2.8)
- python-wxversion (python-central) (source: wxwidgets2.8)

Cheers

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Stéphane Graber

[...]

I just uploaded python-cherrypy3, so we're now python-support free.
I'll see if I have some time today to deal with wxwidgets2.8 (not
particularly looking forward to that ...).

Patches for gevent and cherrypy3 have both been submitted to Debian.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Mike Gabriel

Hi Stéphane,

(calibre and python-x2go depend on one of the others but aren't
themselves using python-support or python-central)

Could you point me to the Ubuntu package repos of Python X2Go, so that
I can adapt your upstream X2Go packages and the Debian package?

BTW:
http://mentors.debian.net/package/nx-libs
http://mentors.debian.net/package/x2goclient
http://mentors.debian.net/package/python-x2go
http://mentors.debian.net/package/pyhoca-cli
http://mentors.debian.net/package/pyhoca-gui

Also interesting for Edu-purposes:
http://mentors.debian.net/package/coccinella (already in Debian wheezy)

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb--
edubuntu-devel mailing list
edubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Stéphane Graber

On 01/11/2012 03:08 PM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi Stéphane,
>
> On Di 20 Dez 2011 10:26:28 CET Stéphane Graber wrote:
>

>> python-x2go
>>
>> (calibre and python-x2go depend on one of the others but aren't
>> themselves using python-support or python-central)
>
> Could you point me to the Ubuntu package repos of Python X2Go, so
> that I can adapt your upstream X2Go packages and the Debian
> package?
>
> BTW: http://mentors.debian.net/package/nx-libs
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/x2goclient
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/python-x2go
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/pyhoca-cli
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/pyhoca-gui
>
> Also interesting for Edu-purposes:
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/coccinella (already in Debian
> wheezy)
>
> Greets, Mike

The Ubuntu branch is at:
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/python-x2go/precise

The interesting commit is id 3:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/python-x2go/precise/revision/3?start_revid=3

Pretty cool to see all of these now ready to enter Debian, looking
forward to having all of these in Ubuntu soon.

- --
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com