Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Jeremy Bicha

Default Rename GNOME Classic to GNOME Fallback?

Hi,

What do you think of renaming GNOME Classic to GNOME Fallback on the
login screen? Since Edubuntu is the only CD that ships this by
default, I wanted to hear what you think. If it's too much too late,
we can just wait for next release cycle.

http://pad.lv/859416

Jeremy

Old 09-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Seth Woodworth

What is Ubuntu proper titling the menu entry?

I'm pleased with Unity, and I'm a hopefully participant of the ongoing
project, but I'm still fond of GNOME Classic. I am still required to
use GNOME with Metacity on my extremely modern Lenovo laptop as Unity
and Unity-2d are both broken on my machine.***I feel that "GNOME
Fallback" sets up an expectation, but "GNOME Classic" has less
baggage.

** I make no*claims that this is not due to user error

Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Jeremy Bicha

On 26 September 2011 12:42, Seth Woodworth <seth@isforinsects.com> wrote:
> What is Ubuntu proper titling the menu entry?
>
> I'm pleased with Unity, and I'm a hopefully participant of the ongoing
> project, but I'm still fond of GNOME Classic. I am still required to
> use GNOME with Metacity on my extremely modern Lenovo laptop as Unity
> and Unity-2d are both broken on my machine.***I feel that "GNOME
> Fallback" sets up an expectation, but "GNOME Classic" has less
> baggage.

What do you mean by "expectation" and "baggage"?

Jeremy

Old 09-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Seth Woodworth

> What do you mean by "expectation" and "baggage"?

I should have elaborated.

+ 'Fallback' suggests to me a case or an eventuality that shouldn't
happen, and provides the minimum functionality in case it does.
+ 'Classic' suggests to me a slightly less featured version of a
program, but one that probably provides the same functionality even if
not the ideal interface.

Failback suggests to me the expectation that GNOME + metacity will not
be required. I think that it will be required often enough to not
call it a fallback. The word "Classic" suggests a slight
recommendation against use, but doesn't carry a strong negative
connotation.

My opinion is completely semantically subjective , it is the
connotation I have with the terms and what I perceive of the user
experience. Your millage (and the users') may vary greatly.

--Seth

Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Jeremy Bicha

On 26 September 2011 02:50, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do you think of renaming GNOME Classic to GNOME Fallback on the
> login screen? Since Edubuntu is the only CD that ships this by
> default, I wanted to hear what you think. If it's too much too late,
> we can just wait for next release cycle.

Never mind. I've decided to just wait for early 12.04 to make this change.

Thanks,
Jeremy