Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Nigel Barker

Default Edubuntu and DebianEdu/SkoleLinux cooperation

On 19 February 2011 00:33, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
<jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I can't see a reason not to, and perhaps once we've integrated the
> client-side stuff we could perhaps later have a similar setup available
> in Skolelinux available as a task in Ubuntu Server?
>
> I think we should collaborate with them on this, thoughts?

At my school we have been using skolelinux for years, simply because
at the time (6.06 maybe?) Edubuntu was only a classroom server, while
skolelinux did the whole school. I have been very happy with
skolelinux and I've become a fan of debian, but:
I would love to be able to use UNR as a skolelinux workstation.
I would love to be able to hook an edubuntu terminal server into the
skolelinux network.

Anyway, there's a view from a school for you!

cheers,
nigel

Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM
David Groos

I don't know all the ramifications here but the idea sounds good.
Yes, remember this discussion in the edubuntu list-serves from a bit
over a year ago (started on 1/20/2010)? It was a fairly involved
discussion on LDAP admin tools and at one point sbalneave ie Scott
made a comment that seems germane to the discussion of a
collaboration--it concurs with the idea that skolelinux 'has' an LDAP
solution that would greatly benefit edubuntu.

Scott said in the middle of the thread...

If I might proffer an opinion....

LDAP's a "hard" subject. It's:

1) Non-trivial to set up
2) Infinitely customizable
3) Lacking any discernable standard as to how you should lay out
your database

for authentication.

So the problem is, every time you poke your head up and say: "Hey
guys, lets do
X!" you're greeted by a chorus of "Yeah, but what about....", an
which point
everybody stares at their shoes, goes "Hmmmm, interesting problem
<deep
thought>" and the problem disappears off into the sunset for another
few

months.

I'm not blaming them. LDAP *is* the single largest PITA to
configure/setup/get
working, and it's deucedly difficult to try to make the "perfect"
tool.

Both RedHat and SkoleLinux solved the problem by saying "You'll do
it our way
and *like it*!!!!", with the end result that they have something
that works,
but God help you if you want/need to do something different.
Debian, and by
extention Ubuntu, is still waiting for the perfect, infinitely
customizable yet

easy-to-use LDAP tool to come along.

So if this collaboration between edubuntu and skolelinux would
increase the likelihood of having a good LDAP admin solution, that's a
+1 from me. And, on general principle, well-done collaborations
between different groups with compatible needs is always a big win-win.

David