Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Default Edubuntu Wallpaper

Hi

A few months back John Baer approacedh Edubuntu and offered some
assitance in creating a wallpaper for Edubuntu. He helped us create the
spec on the Ubuntu wiki[1], and since then, there have been a bunch of
submissions on the Flickr group[2].

From the Edubuntu side we're happy to have received those submissions,
but there weren't many submissions that fitted the specification well.
We'll be happy to include some of those wallpapers in the system and
feature them in the wallpaper chooser, and thank the contributors for
their work.

Martin Owens (doctormo) said that he's willing to put some dedicated
work into an Edubuntu wallpaper and can do a few concepts and then
iterations on them. This seems like a better approach than a competition
and might work better for this release.

John, can we close the current commission for wallpaper on the wiki and
list the wallpapers chosen for inclusion? I know there's technically a
month left on that spec's timelines, but I don't think we were that
likely to receive much more submissions anyway.

Thanks to everyone involved, I know this might be a bit of a sensitive
issue but if anyone wants to talk to me about it, feel free to poke me.

-Jonathan

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/0006_Edubuntu_Natty_Wallpaper
[2] http://www.flickr.com/groups/uawt-6/

Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi John

On 16/02/11 12:36 PM, John Baer wrote:
> I am sorry to hear of your decision and I certainly echo my appreciation
> to everyone who posted wallpaper submissions.
>
> Please don't feel the need to respond but if I had been asked I would
> have suggested Martin add his illustration to the others.

I believe Martin did say that you suggested that to him, the problem was
that he (and other artists that I spoke to before) explicitely don't
want to participate in a competition.

Do you think we should still make it a competition for the wallpapers
currently submitted and perhaps only select 3 of them for inclusion on
the disc? That way the most favourite submissions will at least get more
exposure and we can blog about it, etc.

Also, do you think that competition-style selections are the best way to
do things like this? Do you know of any alternatives? It's something
that we'll need to think about for future releases for sure, and it
would be awesome if we could get it right.

-Jonathan