-   Edubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/)
-   -   Would an lts.conf configurator gui be useful? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/479184-would-lts-conf-configurator-gui-useful.html)

john 01-20-2011 10:51 PM

Would an lts.conf configurator gui be useful?

Hi all,

I was talking with a co-worker who thought it would be great if you could
configure lts.conf options to thin clients via a gui. Maybe the gui
would populate itself with
all of the mac addresses that were thin clients (via arp ?) and you
could point and click your way through the
various options configurable through lts.conf.

It might look something like:

+[aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff]
+[ff:ee:dd:cc:bb:aa]

And when you clicked on the mac address in question you'd get something like:

[aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff]
+GENERAL PARAMETERS
+SCRIPTS AND MODULES
+PRINTER PARAMETERS
+KEYBOARD PARAMETERS
+TOUCHSCREEN PARAMETERS
+SOUND AND VOLUME CONTROL PARAMETERS
+XORG PARAMETERS
+XRANDR OPTIONS
+SCREEN SCRIPTS
+LDM OPTIONS
+LOCAL APPLICATIONS

And drilling further you'd see:

[aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff]
+GENERAL PARAMETERS
+SCRIPTS AND MODULES
+PRINTER PARAMETERS
+KEYBOARD PARAMETERS
+TOUCHSCREEN PARAMETERS
+SOUND AND VOLUME CONTROL PARAMETERS
+XORG PARAMETERS
+XRANDR OPTIONS
+SCREEN SCRIPTS
+LDM OPTIONS
LOCAL APPLICATIONS
LOCAL_APPS
boolean, default True

Enables support for running local apps on the thin client.

LOCAL_APPS_MENU
boolean, default False

Enables overriding of menu items from remote (server) applications.
If this is set to True, local applications in the users menu will
be used instead of the applications on the server.

LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS
string, default unset

This item should contain a comma separated list of application
names as they appear on their .desktop files.

LOCAL_APPS_WHITELIST

At the individual attribute level you'd have a radio button or
something for booleans and box for strings.

Maybe something already exists like this? Maybe it's a bad idea for some reason?

I'd be interested in knowing what folks think.

John

David Groos 02-21-2011 01:45 PM

Would an lts.conf configurator gui be useful?

Hi John,

Sorry it took me so long to respond.* From my point of view as a teacher, this is a great idea--I've become familiar with the CLI and even like it for doing tasks that I do often enough to remember the tasks, but I'm a teacher and my main job is to teach and improve my teaching--a massively challenging job (and I've been teaching for 22 years now).* The questions on which I ought to be breaking my brain are, for example, "How do I best introduce this online model of solubility to my 6th period students since their brains are tired and they are antsy not to mention the particular mix of personalities?"* I'd rather not dedicate my brain-energy to figuring out some sudo nano thisandthat.conf.*

The gui you described not only makes it easier, but puts the options right out there, teaching the person what the options are--much easier to experiment with and learn (and as I mentioned, re-learn).* I've got an additional idea too, would it be possible to somehow select a group of clients and apply the same configs to them--manage the machines by groups such as location/classrooms?* The gui you propose does another thing, it lowers the bar to entry into the world of LTSP, and as I work to teach people in my district about the benefits of Edubuntu, anything that makes it easier for techs to sink their cognitive teeth into this technology, the better.*

Finally, if you are still interested in getting feedback about your idea, I would recommend sending this question out to the "Edubuntu Users Group" <edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>, "ubuntu-education" <ubuntu-education@lists.ubuntu.com> lists as they might be the people that would most feel the need for the gui support and they may well not be subscribed to the dev list.

Thanks for your work,

David G