Old 12-28-2010, 02:42 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Default Edubuntu Live Welcome

Happy holidays!

I've started working on the Edubuntu Live Welcome slides, it's meant to
be displayed on Edubuntu Live media to welcome users to the system and
explain what they have actually started up.

In natty it's currently available from the edubuntu-live-welcome
package, if you're on maverick you can get it from my ppa[1]. Or you
could just view it on my Ubuntu people[2] space in your web browser so
long. As you can see, the slides are pretty rough and are meant to be
more of a concept or preview than even a draft.

I don't think we should make it very long or complicated, it should take
more than a minute for a user to look through all the slides.

What I currently have in mind is having four slides:

1. Welcome the user to Edubuntu, provide an elevator pitch, explain that
the user have to click on arrows to navigate slides

2. Explain very basic usage, emphasize that it's not that different from
many other operating systems, tell the user where to find applications,
files, etc.

3. Provide some important information about the live environment, for
example, that some functionailty won't be available in the environment.

4. Remind the user that they can access the Edubuntu website for the
most up to date information.

These are the slides that I thought of in a hurry a few weeks ago, so
I'm not saying that they're perfect. I'm going to start working on
making the actual slides a bit nicer, so if there's any ideas or
suggestions, please let me know, it will be easier to change and adapt
now than later. The deadline for having it finished is on UI Freeze
which happens in mid March[3].

-Jonathan

[1] https://launchpad.net/~jonathan/+archive/unstable
[2] http://people.ubuntu.com/~jonathan/files/natty/edubuntu-live-welcome