Old 09-30-2010, 02:14 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Default Brainstorming for UDS-N - Edubuntu

Hi Ubuntu Developers

(snip original very, very long e-mail about Edubuntu originally typed)

Here are some ideas we've been discussing in Edubuntu for Natty and
Natty+1. They probably won't fit in to one single Ubuntu track, so I
opened a new thread on this list (hope that's ok). They aren't all
intended to be implemented and some ideas will most certainly require a
lot of planning and discussion.

We've never had a shortage of ideas before, usually just a shortage of
people to implement them. Having said that, additional ideas are always
welcome and this list will probably grow a bit in the lead-up to UDS.

=== Installer ===

* More options for desktop environments
* More LTSP options for LTSP options screen
* Fix delays caused in installer by installing almost all available
Ubuntu language packs, then removing almost all of them again except for
the one that the user chose
* New Ubiquity slideshow

=== Edubuntu Server ===

* Create meta-package that could be used on ubuntu-server that installs
and if possible, configures edu-webapps
* Test latest moodle packaging efforts done in Debian and sync
* Assist Schooltool team early in release to get final remaining Zope
dependencies in the archives
* Take a new look at central authentication in Ubuntu and how it can be
simplified, in particular the work done by Opensys
* Investigate other potential server side apps and tools and find a
better way to deliver them (web apps are a pain)

== Edubuntu Artwork ===

* Update the breathe-icon-theme to remove old (brown) Ubuntu references
and make it more modern, make panel icons more appropriate and in line
with Ubuntu artwork, while maintaining some playfulness
* Refresh Edubuntu colours and update GTK theme, plymouth theme, GDM
login, etc to be more consistent, fix current artwork bugs

== Edubuntu Documentation ==

* Edubuntu 11.04 installation guide, release notes, release announcement
* Edubuntu LTSP Tips and Tricks Document
* "Glue documentation" between upstream documentation for Edubuntu for
tools such as Pessulus, Sabayon, iTalc, Nanny, etc. Explain Edubuntu
specific differences.
* More instructional videos on YouTube, make better use of the awesome
YouTube community that have already created a bunch of screencasts,
feature videos on website/planet.

== Edubuntu Desktop ==

* Zeitgeist admin integration, allow administrators to get summaries of
what users have been up to
* Qimo Gnome session with desktop-profiles
* Sugar session
* Remove ltsp-live from menus and add it to boot options when choosing
installer-only/gnome-session

== Edubuntu Meta ===

* Possibly include one or more of the following: pencil, geogebra,
pdfmod, new italc, openspell [needs-packaging], calibre, freeciv,
lybniz, melting, linthesia, gimpbox [needs-packaging], ttf-sil-andika,
stellarium, planetarium, celestian
* Replace scribus with scribus-ng
* Fix depends for qcad-doc on qt3-assistant
* Work with Kubuntu to fix kde-edu dependencies, currently an entire
KDE session is installed on Edubuntu that we don't really want since
it's not configured at all

== Edubuntu website ==

* Feature our users prominently, show the world where Edubuntu is used
with photos, stories and videos
* Add an Edubuntu marketplace, showing where Edubuntu support and
services can be found, including companies that sell pre-installed
Edubuntu systems such as Zareason and System76 (discuss with Canonical
folk at UDS)

-Jonathan

Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Scott Howard

Hello all,

I just saw this line in the email:

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
<jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> ** Fix depends for qcad-doc on qt3-assistant

I adopted qcad in Debian recently and would be happy to fix this ASAP
(in experimental at least). Just to be clear, what is the problem with
the depends? I believe qcad-doc should Recommend qt3-assistant instead
of depend.

It's related to:

Scott

Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Tom Hoffman

<jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Ubuntu Developers

> ** Assist Schooltool team early in release to get final remaining Zope
> dependencies in the archives

Yes, we'll *really* be on top of this early this time around.

--Tom

Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Scott

On 30/09/2010 14:42, Scott Howard wrote:
> I adopted qcad in Debian recently and would be happy to fix this ASAP
> (in experimental at least). Just to be clear, what is the problem with
> the depends? I believe qcad-doc should Recommend qt3-assistant instead
> of depend.
>
> It's related to:

Well, I guess the 26MB of stuff is indeed an issue, but where it
bothered us was that it adds a Qt3 Assistant menu item under
Programming, and currently that's the only item under Programming on the
Edubuntu menu, which could be kind of confusing for users.

We could use some hacky ways to remove it, but the ideal thing for us to
do is just not to install it. We're quite confident that users who'll be
interesting in developing with Qt will know how to install the
documentation for it themselves

-Jonathan

Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Scott Howard

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
<jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Well, I guess the 26MB of stuff is indeed an issue, but where it
> bothered us was that it adds a Qt3 Assistant menu item under
> Programming, and currently that's the only item under Programming on the
> Edubuntu menu, which could be kind of confusing for users.
>
> We could use some hacky ways to remove it, but the ideal thing for us to
> do is just not to install it. We're quite confident that users who'll be
> interesting in developing with Qt will know how to install the
> documentation for it themselves

Thanks for clarifying. One issue is that the online help for qcad
won't show unless qt3-assistant is installed. However, I agree that
qt3-assistant is confusing when added to the menu - this is a tough
one to fix besides using magic unless we remove the .desktop file from
the qt3-assistant package. That might have to be an ubuntu/edubuntu
thing to do as I don't know if the debian maintainers would go for
that. Either way I'll bump it down to "Recommends," but that won't
solve this problem.

I think the edubuntu project is great and am happy to help if you guys
need anything.

Regards,
Scott

Old 09-30-2010, 09:19 PM
David Groos

Jonathon, thanks for including all in the visioning with these e-mails.

You mentioned, 'new iTALC'.* Have you had a look at Alkis' sch-scripts?* Sounds like a bunch of scripts maybe but as a teacher when I look at it I see a straight forward gui interface that does a *lot* of what I need it to do.* Not only does it do the 'lock screen' and "share screen", logout and shutdown stuff, but it has a menu option to edit lts.conf, update-ltsp-image and a bunch of other maintenance stuff.* It is easily 500% quicker than iTALC and... I've gotten everything to work.* Always, something I never achieved with iTALC over the 2 years I used it.* It has rough edges--some of the stuff is in Greek which I can't read, but all the stuff you need to read (menu options and buttons) is in English.* I recommend you try it if it 'fits the bill' for you.* Alkis has a page or two about installing it...

David

Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM
David Farning

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
<jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Ubuntu Developers
>
> (snip original very, very long e-mail about Edubuntu originally typed)
>
> Here are some ideas we've been discussing in Edubuntu for Natty and
> Natty+1. They probably won't fit in to one single Ubuntu track, so I
> opened a new thread on this list (hope that's ok). They aren't all
> intended to be implemented and some ideas will most certainly require a
> lot of planning and discussion.
>
> We've never had a shortage of ideas before, usually just a shortage of
> people to implement them. Having said that, additional ideas are always
> welcome and this list will probably grow a bit in the lead-up to UDS.

This past release has seen the complete packaging of Sugar, originally
created for the one Laptop per child project, for Debian and Ubuntu.
For the upcoming cycle,

1. I will commit to sponsoring maintainers for Sugar .88 on maverick
and releaseing Sugar .92 on natty.
2. Porting the OLPC school server packages to Debian and Ubuntu.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Stéphane Graber

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 12:44 -0400, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> [...]
>
> * Possibly include one or more of the following: pencil, geogebra,
> pdfmod, new italc, openspell [needs-packaging], calibre, freeciv,
> lybniz, melting, linthesia, gimpbox [needs-packaging], ttf-sil-andika,
> stellarium, planetarium, celestian
> * Replace scribus with scribus-ng
> * Fix depends for qcad-doc on qt3-assistant
> * Work with Kubuntu to fix kde-edu dependencies, currently an entire
> KDE session is installed on Edubuntu that we don't really want since
> it's not configured at all
>
> == Edubuntu website ==
>
> * Feature our users prominently, show the world where Edubuntu is used
> with photos, stories and videos
> * Add an Edubuntu marketplace, showing where Edubuntu support and
> services can be found, including companies that sell pre-installed
> Edubuntu systems such as Zareason and System76 (discuss with Canonical

I registered the blueprints for these basically splitting all that in 3
sessions:

Edubuntu seed review:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-n-seed-review

Edubuntu installer improvements:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-n-installer-improvements

Edubuntu community:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-n-community

Everything else should be non-edubuntu specific and will be discussing
in regular "ubuntu" sessions.

Feel free to subscribe/improve.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi David

On 30/09/2010 17:46, David Farning wrote:
> This past release has seen the complete packaging of Sugar, originally
> created for the one Laptop per child project, for Debian and Ubuntu.
> For the upcoming cycle,
>
> 1. I will commit to sponsoring maintainers for Sugar .88 on maverick
> and releaseing Sugar .92 on natty.
> 2. Porting the OLPC school server packages to Debian and Ubuntu.

That's brilliant, thanks for all the effort you put into this!

-Jonathan