Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Default Brainstorming for UDS-N - Edubuntu

Hi David

On 30/09/2010 17:19, David Groos wrote:
> Jonathon, thanks for including all in the visioning with these e-mails.

I'll spare you from my how-to-spell-jonathan page this time

> You mentioned, 'new iTALC'. Have you had a look at Alkis' sch-scripts?
> Sounds like a bunch of scripts maybe but as a teacher when I look at it
> I see a straight forward gui interface that does a *lot* of what I need
> it to do. Not only does it do the 'lock screen' and "share screen",
> logout and shutdown stuff, but it has a menu option to edit lts.conf,
> update-ltsp-image and a bunch of other maintenance stuff. It is easily
> 500% quicker than iTALC and... I've gotten everything to work. Always,
> something I never achieved with iTALC over the 2 years I used it. It
> has rough edges--some of the stuff is in Greek which I can't read, but
> all the stuff you need to read (menu options and buttons) is in
> English. I recommend you try it if it 'fits the bill' for you. Alkis
> has a page or two about installing it...

I haven't looked at it yet, but I've heard a lot about it and seen some
screenshots. I think there's a few things that will happen before we
could consider it for inclusion in Edubuntu. It should be able to
support translations, and at least have an upstream release somewhere so
that we could package it. It also depends on iTALC's future, I believe
it may be due for a rewrite at some point.

Alkis, is there a project page for sch-scripts somewhere?

-Jonathan

Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Alkis Georgopoulos

Στις 05-10-2010, ημ*ρα Τρι, και ώρα 14:16 -0400, ο/η Jonathan Carter
(highvoltage) *γραψε:
> I haven't looked at it yet, but I've heard a lot about it and seen some
> screenshots. I think there's a few things that will happen before we
> could consider it for inclusion in Edubuntu. It should be able to
> support translations, and at least have an upstream release somewhere so
> that we could package it. It also depends on iTALC's future, I believe
> it may be due for a rewrite at some point.
>
> Alkis, is there a project page for sch-scripts somewhere?

The code is there:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~sch-devs/sch-scripts/trunk/

but as you said, the project is not ready for inclusion to Edubuntu yet.
We had very limited time to make it for 10.04 so it lacks some
significant features:
* i18n support
* separation of the "generally useful" stuff from our local
configuration - we'd need to split our configuration to another
package before it can be broadly used

Also, for the next 2 years the main developers are occupied elsewhere,
so we'll be continuing its development after that time.
The good news is that most of us are teachers using it daily on our
classrooms, so it'll be supported for a very long time, unless a better
classroom administration tool emerges.

> It also depends on iTALC's future, I believe it may be due for a
> rewrite at some point.

An iTalc 2.0 partial rewrite was schedule for some years ago, I do hope
it's finally implemented but even if it is, we'll continue
using/developing our tool because it's much better integrated to LTSP
(live autodetection, chroot management etc), it offers some capabilities
that teachers need (mass user creation, video multicasting etc), it
needs less RAM (1 MB so it can run on 64MB thin clients too), it has
much better speed etc.

More news in 2 years, :-)
Alkis