-   Edubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/)
-   -   Edubuntu School Server in a Box blueprint (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/427656-edubuntu-school-server-box-blueprint.html)

Belinda Lopez 09-16-2010 02:27 AM

Edubuntu School Server in a Box blueprint

I created the blueprint for the School server in a box idea we discussed
at last week's meeting. The blueprint can be found here:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/school-server-in-a-box

though now that I'm looking at maybe it should be against the Edubuntu
project??

The wiki page for discussion is here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Education/EdubuntuServer

Please add your thoughts.

thanks,

Dinda

Education
Canonical
belinda.lopez@canonical.com
dinda@ubuntu.com
IRC: dinda
Office: Galveston, Texas
--
Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings
http://www.ubuntu.com

Jorge Salamero Sanz 09-16-2010 06:44 AM

On Thursday 16 September 2010 04:27:34 Belinda Lopez wrote:
> Please add your thoughts.

What about using Zentyal (formerly eBox Platform) for system administration ?

It could provide: firewall, qos, proxy with content filtering, ldap management,
samba, etc and it's already in Ubuntu :)

https://launchpad.net/~zentyal
http://www.zentyal.org/

Cheers,

"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" 09-16-2010 01:35 PM

Edubuntu School Server in a Box blueprint

Hi Jorge

On 16/09/2010 02:44, Jorge Salamero Sanz wrote:
> On Thursday 16 September 2010 04:27:34 Belinda Lopez wrote:
> It could provide: firewall, qos, proxy with content filtering, ldap management,
> samba, etc and it's already in Ubuntu :)
>
> https://launchpad.net/~zentyal
> http://www.zentyal.org/

That would indeed be very useful for schools, but an infrastructure
system would fall more in the domain of Ubuntu Server. It's something we
could work on as part of that, and it could potentially be included on
an Edubuntu server disc at some point, I just don't want to get
overambitious for the next release, especially since we haven't even
really yet decided that we're going to do a server disc for natty yet.

I think it's something worth discussing though, and if we don't do it
for natty, then maybe natty+1. Baby steps :)

-Jonathan

"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" 09-16-2010 01:35 PM

"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" 09-18-2010 05:21 PM

Edubuntu School Server in a Box blueprint

Hi Belinda

On 15/09/2010 22:27, Belinda Lopez wrote:
> I created the blueprint for the School server in a box idea we discussed
> at last week's meeting. The blueprint can be found here:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/school-server-in-a-box
>
> though now that I'm looking at maybe it should be against the Edubuntu
> project??

Yep, sound right.

> The wiki page for discussion is here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Education/EdubuntuServer

In my opinion it would be better to start with a meta-package for Natty
rather than dedicated installation media. We won't have that much to
start off with, so users might be better suited starting with an Ubuntu
Server disc and then just installing something like
edubuntu-classroom-server on top of that. I've added a comment on that
wiki page that basically says that. (my 2c).

-Jonathan