-   Edubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/)
-   -   dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/425000-dbus-daemon-messagebus-100-cpu-usage.html)

David Hopkins 09-09-2010 07:01 PM

dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

Has anyone noticed dbus (messagebus) using 100% of a CPU on an LTSP
server? I have two identical servers both hardware and software
(Karmic 9.10, comparing output from dpkg --get-selections). However,
one server runs flawlessly, the other shows dbus_daemon using 100% of
a CPU. Also, memory usage slowly climbs until the system begins using
virtual memory and everything then comes to a halt. Both systems
connect to the same brand of switch, both connect to a KVM. The only
differences are in the client systems that they serve. One servers
GX150/GX240s while the other (the misbehaving system) serves
GX50/GX110/GX150's. I'm in the process of replacing the GX50 systems
and as many GX110's as possible, but curious if anyone has noticed
this issue.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School
Newark Delaware

David Hopkins 09-16-2010 12:12 PM

dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

I am still having issues with the dbus-daemon randomly consuming 100%
of the cpu on my servers which renders them unusable. There doesn't
appear to be any messages in the logs but the school director has now
stopped by and asked if it wouldn't be simpler to go back to the RHEL5
with LTSP4.2 instead of staying with Ubuntu. He is very supportive of
using LTSP and for him to ask this is a serious concern.

Does anyone have any ideas about why the dbus-daemon would suddenly
spike to 100% cpu usage and hang the system? The load average can be
very low (4-5 on a dual-quad) and yet the system is completely
nonresponsive?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

David Hopkins 09-16-2010 12:12 PM

Jordan Erickson 09-16-2010 03:24 PM

dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

Hi David,

If 1 of 2 servers is experiencing this issue, and nobody else has chimed
in yet to say they're having the same problem, I'd have to assume it's
something very particular to your one server's setup.. A couple of
questions:

- Is this happening with specific users, only before/after login, ...?
- Have you checked logs on the terminals themselves?
- Just a shot in the dark (google in the dark?) but have you seen
comments 11 & 12 at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/390528 ?

I'm sure there's a solution to your problem. The important thing IMHO is
to do as much research on your issue as possible and not let the school
director think that it's unsolvable. Worst case scenario you could
always wipe/re-install the system. Going back to an unsupported LTSP 4.2
probably isn't your best option.

Cheers,
Jordan

--
Jordan Erickson - LNS
(707) 636-5678 - http://logicalnetworking.net

David Hopkins 09-16-2010 05:42 PM

dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

Jordan,

Thanks for the link but I don't think it is that issue as I'm not
getting error messages in the log files. Running dpkg
--get-selections shows that the two systems have exactly the same
packages installed. I have between 40 and 50 users logged onto the
server at any given time. It is rather random as the system can run
fine for a day or so and then suddenly have this issue.

I have already rebuilt the server once a few weeks ago. That was when
I made certain that is was a 'clone' of the other server. I used the
--get-selections and --set-selections to ensure that apt installed
only those packages.

The only clue I have at present is that npviewer.bin (flash?) will
segfault at times though the system doesn't misbehave when this
happens. It is probably just one line in a log file that I haven't
located which the clue I need, but if I can't resolve it quickly, I'll
probably have to try upgrading the systems to Lucid (10.04) although
from some traffic on the lists, it seems lucid comes with its own set
of issues.

Thanks!
Dave ...

David Hopkins 09-17-2010 08:54 PM

dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

It appears that the issue is related to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dbus/+bug/381063

So, how do I set ulimit -n 8192

for example to increase the open files limit? Do I need to edit the
/etc/init/dbus.conf file and add this command somewhere? Or is there
some other location that I can make certain that the limit is changed
from 1024 to a larger number?

I would think this bug would affect more than just me as it seems to
be an issue for ltsp in general.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Jordan Erickson 09-17-2010 10:20 PM

dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

Looks like you can add the line "ulimit -n 65535" to /etc/default/dbus

... :)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dbus/+bug/381063/comments/4

Cheers,
Jordan

David Hopkins 09-18-2010 01:10 AM

dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

I tried this but not sure how to tell if it actually set nofiles for
dbus to the desired value. A shell still reports 1024 as the value
though that is just for that user and not for messagebus or
dbus-daemon?

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Jordan Erickson

David Hopkins 09-21-2010 03:26 PM

dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

Ok .. I edited the limits.conf file and added what I thought was the
correct information e.g.

* hard nofile 65535

and then also edited the pam file as well (following
http://posidev.com/blog/2009/06/04/set-ulimit-parameters-on-ubuntu/ ),
rebooted the server and ... today the problem has returned. I am at
wits end. An identical system which only has 36 users does not have
any issues at all. However, on this system, once we reach
approximately 50 users, we start to have issues with messagebus
(dbus-daemon). I can move users to another server but that isn't
exactly solving the issue so much as avoiding it and means adding
another server. As the load is only around 2-3 on a dual quad-core
box, load isn't the issue ... it some setting and I really think it is
nofile

I guess I'll add another server to the mix in the interim just to get
around this problem but I'd prefer to actually solve it.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins