Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Belinda Lopez

Default Ubuntu in Education resources from Canonical

Greetings all!
I'm working on a short-term assignment to review and update
Canonical's Ubuntu in Education resources. This includes making the
various websites easier to use for end user like students, parents,
educators as well as solution providers and others who want to do
business in the Education market place using Ubuntu and its
derivatives. The Education sector is an important space on many levels
to both Canonical and Ubuntu. I can't make any promises other than it
being a personal goal of mine to help drive the adoption of Ubuntu in
Education at every level so for starters I'm opening up the dialog with
the community on best to use the limited resources Canonical currently
has to develop some new content for the following audiences:

End users: students, parents, educators
School level adoptions: decision makers
District/regional deployments; policy makers
Solution Providers: those delivering services and hardware to the
Education sector.

If you have any thoughts on what each audience needs to know please
voice your thoughts here or email me privately. I've also added this
item to the Edubuntu meeting agenda to help further the conversation.

Also, does anyone have idea of how many schools might be using
Ubuntu/Edubuntu? or if there is some place we can ask people to let us
know about their schools?

thanks,

Belinda/dinda

Education
Canonical
belinda.lopez@canonical.com
dinda@ubuntu.com
IRC: dinda
Office: Galveston, Texas
--
Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings
http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Caroline Meeks

Hi Belinda,

You might want to talk to Maine Open 1 to 1 (open1to1.org) they are a Ubuntu netbook remix remix that is being used by a couple thousand students in Maine on netbooks.* There are also deployments in NH and VT.* They just started last year, this year they are working on being more involved in the Ubuntu community.* We are also working to put Sugar, which is currently being ported to Ubuntu (Ubuntu Sugar Remix) into this remix also.

I am working with the Boston area Ubuntu community and folks from Tufts and Harvard to do a stick based deployment in Somerville where we will give families in housing projects refurbished computers and each person in the family a bootable USB sticks with Open 1 to 1 (or maybe a different mix of software for the parents).* We will work with community computer centers to give classes and use these spaces to provide internet access.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for doing this work.

Caroline

[...]

Solution Grove
Caroline@SolutionGrove.com

617-500-3488 - Office
505-213-3268 - Fax

Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 AM
David Groos

Nice!* Cool things are happening...

Belinda, I just got an e-mail from someone who was looking to install LTSP on edubuntu lucid and was asking what he needed beyond the instructions on this page I had written.* I referred him to this page as well as the basicsetup page.* From my point of view, a critical resource would be a complete set of tutorials on setting up a LTSP lab in a school with Lucid.* It needs an easily-updatable pathway to create a 10.10 BasicSetup page...* With a good 'Hub' page Edubuntu would be open to many more tech inclined educators...

Good luck
David

Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Belinda Lopez

Wow - I've already been blown away by the work being done in the
Education sector.* Ubuntu in schools, just makes sense.* Yesterday I
was directed to this great map showing schools in Finland with Ubuntu
deployments:

http://bit.ly/amFiOO* and more on
what is happening around open source there:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/mista-on-hyvat-koulu-tehty

http://www.osor.eu/news/fi-over-a-hundred-schools-using-open-source

And next week I'm visiting a local school in Houston, TX that has
migrated to Ubuntu/Moodle and lots of other open source offerings.* The
project leaders is also the Moodle Core Contrib coordinator so I will
ask how we can get more folks interested in helping with the technical
side of Ubuntu/Edubuntu.

I'll keep plugging away at coordinating all this great info and have
also started updating some of the wiki pages.* Great stuff folks!*
Let's keep the momentum going!

Belinda