Old 08-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Michael Hall

Default KTouch lecture contains a swear word

If this word appears on a computer used in a school in the USA, the
software would almost certainly be banned from use immediately and
permanently. The word has no legitimate use, it is a vulgarism, and
should not be included in any educational packages.

** Changed in: kdeedu (Ubuntu)

--
KTouch lecture contains a swear word
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/622592

Status in “kdeedu” package in Ubuntu: New

Bug description:
Binary package hint: ktouch

I am using ubuntu 10.4.
ktouch version: 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2

I was following a lecture to learn Dvorak (Training > Default Lectures .. > Dvorak (auto-generated))
Among the various English and pseudo-English words KTouch asked me to type, I encountered "cunt".
I imagine it could be a source of trouble if Ubuntu is ever used at school to teach children how to type.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Tom Hoffman

While there is a slippery slope here -- where do you stop? -- in the US
this is considered about the most offensive word there is (moreso, I
gather, than in the UK).

Its appearance could throw a whole class of 10 year olds into complete
disarray, and if it showed up, say, in initial testing would probably
disqualify the product entirely.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Jonathan Carter

Please keep tis bug report open. I agree that swear words is an old-
fashioned concept that's becomming less relevant to young people today.
However, Tom is right, there's still currently plenty of good reasons
why that word shouldn't be included in the dictionary. I can certainly
imagine it spinning a typical classroom out of control.

This isn't a case of censorship or being 'old people', it's a case of
what's appropriate. We also don't want to have warnings slapped on
Edubuntu for parental advisory, etc.

So, even though the swear word idea is kind of outdated, please don't
close it, it's certainly valid!

** Changed in: kdeedu (Ubuntu)

--
KTouch lecture contains a swear word
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/622592
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Edubuntu
Bugsquad, which is subscribed to kdeedu in ubuntu.

Status in “kdeedu” package in Ubuntu: Confirmed

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Tom Hoffman

Also, I don't know how this application actually works, if this word is
explicitly included in the dictionary of practice words, just take it
out. If it is occasionally randomly generated and would mean starting a
new blacklisted list of all possibly objectionable words in each locale,
I can understand why that would be an annoying path to start down (but
it is still probably necessary).