Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 AM
john

Default Applets fail to load -- huge drag!

Hello all,

I've been having terrible problems with Lucid. Something bad seems to
have happened with the bonobo-activation-server. It doesn't appear to
exist
and I see lots of message's to the effect of:

The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet".
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_IndicatorApplet".
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet".

Kern log says:

tail /var/log/kern.log
Jul 6 17:29:07 jbuntu kernel: [22474.359767] bonobo-activati[7258]:
segfault at 1c4f ip 00ab5e21 sp bfd66acc error 4 in
libc-2.11.1.so[a3c000+153000]
Jul 6 17:29:07 jbuntu kernel: [22474.360707] gnome-panel[7232]:
segfault at 4 ip 080ad2f9 sp bfb5df60 error 4 in
gnome-panel[8048000+83000]

etc, etc, when I log in or try to add an applet to the panel. Whats
more minimized items "disappear" Some how minimization and applets are
closly
related. The situation is so bad, I am thinking about tar'ing up /home
and rebuilding the system from scratch. I am hoping that someone has
an idea
before I spend time doing this. It's making me grumpy!

Hope someone is still reading these lists!

Thanks!

John

Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
dbclinton

Maybe you could try killing bonobo. Here's a rather old post that might
help.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 PM
john

Thanks for the idea. The issue with me seems to be the fact that the
bonobo-activation-server is hosed. I've tried reinstalling everything
GDM and bonobo related that I could find to no effect. Nothing
meaningful was logged (at least at the default log level for bonobo
and I didn't see where I could turn up the logging. Strace didn't give
me much to work with that I could understand anyway).

Finally I just gave up and repaved the system. That's a pretty
disappointing thing to have to do but I'd already spend enough time
scouring the web and looking on the ubuntu bug tracker. Luckily my
/home is on a separate drive and partition so it was fairly trivial to
do the rebuild.

p.s. I am sorry to see these lists so quiet, we need to be a resource
for each other.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help!

John

Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 PM
john

Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
David Groos

Finally I just gave up and repaved the system. That's a prettydisappointing thing to have to do but I'd already spend enough timescouring the web and looking on the ubuntu bug tracker. Luckily my/home is on a separate drive and partition so it was fairly trivial todo the rebuild.Sorry you had to do the re-install. *I learned my lessons last summer when i spent MANY dozens of hours setting up the server. *This summer, every time I get to a major stage in the setup (major to me, perhaps trivial to another), I make a quick copy of the entire hard drive. *I've already had to re-image the hard drive once this summer but it was a simple deal :-).

p.s. I am sorry to see these lists so quiet, we need to be a resourcefor each other.On that note, if anyone installs Edubuntu from the live CD would you*check this page*and make improvements such as extra considerations or improve wording etc? *The more the instructions are reviewed and improved, the more reliable and useful they will be to beginner Edubuntu/LTSP people. * Also, I just finished an initial draft of adding LTSP to a basic Edubuntu install: "InstallingLTSPlucid". *Again, if you need to do this process or are willing to do a test of the page in a VM, please do so and improve it so others with less knowledge than yourself can benefit!
Thanks,

David

Thanks again, I appreciate your help!
John--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
David Groos

[...]

edubuntu-devel mailing list
edubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
john

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:

> On that note, if anyone installs Edubuntu from the live CD would you*check
> this page*and make improvements such as extra considerations or improve
> wording etc? *The more the instructions are reviewed and improved, the more
> reliable and useful they will be to beginner Edubuntu/LTSP people. * Also, I
> just finished an initial draft of adding LTSP to a basic Edubuntu install:
> "InstallingLTSPlucid". *Again, if you need to do this process or are willing
> to do a test of the page in a VM, please do so and improve it so others with
> less knowledge than yourself can benefit!

Hi David,

I made some minor edits to InstallingLTSPlucid.

Cheers,

John

Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
john

Old 07-09-2010, 03:03 AM
David Groos

Thanks John--I took off the 'draft status' note from that page.
David