-   Edubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/)
-   -   Set of "BasicSetup" how-to's" for Lucid Edubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/394187-set-basicsetup-how-tos-lucid-edubuntu.html)

David Groos 07-02-2010 03:25 PM

Set of "BasicSetup" how-to's" for Lucid Edubuntu

Hi All Edubuntistas,

As I was researching and creating a "BasicSetup" wiki page I was moved by all the work that has been done on the Ubuntu wiki.* So much has been created over the years.* My goal was to make 1 page to coordinate all the how-to pages needed to do a basic (but complete) set up of an Edubuntu Lucid LTSP server. The criteria used include:

Respect the name space already used by the community (thus the "cookbook" in the name)Make the page as clear and easy to edit as possible.Include only the most basic how-to's but, be complete as well
Like all community projects, I can't (nor ought to) do this all myself.* I don't have enough knowledge nor enough time.* There are many dozens of people on these mailing lists.* The Dev's are already tapped out with their work developing the software and answering higher-level troubleshooting questions so mainly my plea is directed to the Edubuntu-users list and Ubuntu-education list.** Haven't made a page and not sure how to?* Ask me and I'll help you get started.* We need new people!

Please take a look at this page.* Please consider adding your knowledge to this page, improving this page.* If there are existing resources that are appropriate for Lucid, note that and link to them.* If a how-to page needs to be updated for Lucid and you have the knowledge or are willing to gain it and update the page, please do so!

I'm willing to work over this summer to help create and coordinate this BasicSetup series of pages.* Join me!

David

uwe 07-02-2010 09:45 PM

Set of "BasicSetup" how-to's" for Lucid Edubuntu

david,

thanks for the good work. I am teaching linux part-time at our small
local school since three years using edubuntu and ltsp.

let me please add my 2 cents to the pages:
- I think each page should have an indication when it was last touched.
each.
- each line in the table or the linked page should have a clear
indication if the process is optional or mandatory.
- maybe a basic setup and an extended version is required. the basic
setup should be short in my eyes.
- e.g. "add users in bulk" is an optional task and not required for a
basic setup (depending on the size of the school of course) but it is
more like a goodie for me. just as the point about the maintenance.

hope this helps a bit.

have a nice weekend,

uwe

"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" 08-25-2010 03:29 PM

Set of "BasicSetup" how-to's" for Lucid Edubuntu

Hi David

Yesterday I searched for Edubuntu on YouTube and was pleasantly
surprised to find a bunch of training videos that different users
created for Edubuntu.

It seems that for some people at least, creating a video of how you do
it and explaining alongside is easier than typing up a howto in detail.

I'm wondering if we should perhaps communicate what kind of
documentation we need with the Youtube community and see what happens?
I'm quite interested myself in doing a few of them.

Any thoughts?

-Jonathan

David Groos 08-26-2010 02:37 AM

Set of "BasicSetup" how-to's" for Lucid Edubuntu

Hey Jonathan--I'm a big fan of well-done screencasts. *I'm making some for my students, for example, 'how do you make bubbles with links with CmapTools' etc. * Here are some characteristics of good instructional videos. *Like any criteria they should be used in moderation...
--They are short, ideally 2 minutes max. *This involves processing the screen cast afterwards to remove non-necessary stuff, also planning ahead of time helps as well to make sure you get all the bases covered.--They have enough resolution so that you can read what's going on without too much squinting--There is text to accompany them with code that can be copied/pasted and instructions that can be edited/improved--wiki style and read and re-read as needed.--I really like sound, otherwise my attention wanders all over the place :-)
Here's an example of one*I really like--Probably needs to be updated to Lucid of course--that's one of the things about documentation of Ubuntu with new version every 6 months :)
If you find some good ones, link to them on the BasicSetup page (like the one above by LNS--thanks Jordan!).
David

On Aug 25, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:Hi David
As I was researching and creating a "BasicSetup" wiki page<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuDocumentation/EdubuntuCookbook/BasicSetup>I was moved by all the work that has been done on the Ubuntu wiki.* Somuch has been created over the years.* My goal was to make 1 page tocoordinate all the how-to pages needed to do a basic (but complete) setup of an Edubuntu Lucid LTSP server. The criteria used include: