Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 AM
David Groos

Default Set of "BasicSetup" how-to's" for Lucid Edubuntu

Hey Jonathan--I'm a big fan of well-done screencasts. *I'm making some for my students, for example, 'how do you make bubbles with links with CmapTools' etc. * Here are some characteristics of good instructional videos. *Like any criteria they should be used in moderation...
--They are short, ideally 2 minutes max. *This involves processing the screen cast afterwards to remove non-necessary stuff, also planning ahead of time helps as well to make sure you get all the bases covered.--They have enough resolution so that you can read what's going on without too much squinting--There is text to accompany them with code that can be copied/pasted and instructions that can be edited/improved--wiki style and read and re-read as needed.--I really like sound, otherwise my attention wanders all over the place :-)
Here's an example of one*I really like--Probably needs to be updated to Lucid of course--that's one of the things about documentation of Ubuntu with new version every 6 months
If you find some good ones, link to them on the BasicSetup page (like the one above by LNS--thanks Jordan!).
David

On Aug 25, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:Hi David
Yesterday I searched for Edubuntu on YouTube and was pleasantlysurprised to find a bunch of training videos that different userscreated for Edubuntu.
It seems that for some people at least, creating a video of how you doit and explaining alongside is easier than typing up a howto in detail.
I'm wondering if we should perhaps communicate what kind ofdocumentation we need with the Youtube community and see what happens?I'm quite interested myself in doing a few of them.
Any thoughts?
-Jonathan
On 02/07/2010 11:25, David Groos wrote: Hi All Edubuntistas,
As I was researching and creating a "BasicSetup" wiki page<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuDocumentation/EdubuntuCookbook/BasicSetup>I was moved by all the work that has been done on the Ubuntu wiki.* Somuch has been created over the years.* My goal was to make 1 page tocoordinate all the how-to pages needed to do a basic (but complete) setup of an Edubuntu Lucid LTSP server. The criteria used include:
** 1. Respect the name space already used by the community (thus the* * * "cookbook" in the name)** 2. Make the page as clear and easy to edit as possible.** 3. Include only the most basic how-to's but, be complete as well
Like all community projects, I can't (nor ought to) do this all myself.*I don't have enough knowledge nor enough time.* There are many dozens ofpeople on these mailing lists.* The Dev's are already tapped out withtheir work developing the software and answering higher-leveltroubleshooting questions so mainly my plea is directed to theEdubuntu-users list and Ubuntu-education list. * Haven't made a page andnot sure how to?* Ask me and I'll help you get started.* We need new people!
Please take a look at this page.* Please consider adding your knowledgeto this page, improving this page.* If there are existing resources thatare appropriate for Lucid, note that and link to them.* If a how-to pageneeds to be updated for Lucid and you have the knowledge or are willingto gain it and update the page, please do so!
I'm willing to work over this summer to help create and coordinate thisBasicSetup series of pages.* Join me!
David