Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Alkis Georgopoulos

Default pxe image fails to boot: "Forbidden directory"

Some ideas why logging in could fail:
* If for a second it says "server not responding, restarting..", then it might be an ssh-keys problem, which you normally solve with sudo ltsp-update-sshkeys && sudo ltsp-update-image.

* If you do see that "not responding" message, and updating the ssh keys doesn't solve it, try putting
[Default]
SCREEN_02=shell
SCREEN_07=ldm
in lts.conf. Reboot the client, switch to vt2 by pressing Alt+Ctrl+F2 and enter this command:
ssh _user_@server
Replace "_user_" with an existing username, but leave "server" as it is without replacing it with your actual server name or IP.
This command should allow you to login without producing any warnings at all. If you do see a warning then it's still an ssh keys error.

* If it appears to be logging in but then X crashes and you get back to
the login screen, you may find some hints on that user's ~/.xsession-
errors.

* A very frequent problem with the same symptoms as yours is caused by compiz, which is enabled by default on Ubuntu. Try entering the following command to disable it:
sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type string --set /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager metacity
No reboot necessary, neither on the server nor the client. Just enter that command on the server and try to login on the client.

If you still have no luck, try the LTSP IRC channel, it's very helpful on troubleshooting such problems:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ltsp

--
pxe image fails to boot: "Forbidden directory"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/573975

Status in “ltsp” package in Ubuntu: New

Bug description:
The ltsp with 9.04 and 9.10 boots my current hardware setup. Did out-of-the-box 10.04 "ltsp-build-client --arch i386", change /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to reflect my second network card at 192.168.13.x, ltsp-update-sshkeys; ltsp-update-image --arch i386 just as done before, and clients fail to boot with PXE complaining about tftp "forbidden directory" problem. I don't see anything different with the permissions of the files. I've been running 9.04 because 9.10 has an issue with booting an over-200 MB PXE image on one of my clients (the other works). But 10.04 fails on both clients. I'm using the exact same /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf file with 10.04 I have on 9.04 (I can dual boot).