Old 06-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Josef Tupag

Default GUI for Ubuntu Server?

Hi guys, I'm very new to Ubuntu. Here at work we are planning to install Ubuntu Server. We wanted to know if Ubuntu Server comes with a GUI or is it only text mode?

Thanks for the help, I have been looking for this answer for hours.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Josef Tupag wrote:

> Hi guys, I'm very new to Ubuntu. Here at work we are planning to install
> Ubuntu Server. We wanted to know if Ubuntu Server comes with a GUI or is it
> only text mode?
>
> Thanks for the help, I have been looking for this answer for hours.

The answer may not be there as the question is a bit nebulous. There are
many possible GUIs and whether they are installed is just a question of
what packages you choose.

By default, the normal Ubuntu server is generally command line only (which
is how I prefer a server, personally). However, installing UI components
can be done quite easily. Perhaps the easiest thing to do, once you have
the basic install done is to install the ubuntu-desktop package:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

This will install xorg, gnome and the various other components needed for
the standard graphical environment. I wouldn't particularly recommend this
on most servers, but it's available to you if need be.

Gavin

Old 06-22-2010, 04:25 PM
john

Hi Josef,