Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 AM
David Groos

Default Helping new users with setting up Edubuntu server

Hi All,

As I mentioned in a previous e-mail I really feel the need for maybe a dozen, well-made, wiki pages that describe how to set up a basic but fully functioning Edubuntu/LTSP Lucid server with the basic educational needs addressed.* Probably lots of this already exists--my goal is to update them to Lucid AND perhaps most importantly, give them good visibility on edubuntu.org so when a new person arrives there they are welcomed into our community with a helpful and informational 'red carpet'.

Here are a couple of initial questions:
How do I get a link on the edubuntu page?What is the official page on the edubuntu or ubuntu wiki for installing Lucid (hopefully with info on installing LTSP).
Which wiki should I add/update this content, ubuntu or edubuntu?What is the relationship between these wikis and what is the vision for the edubuntu wiki?I'm thinking I should start a 'specifications' wiki page on these dozen pages, on edubuntu wiki, right?* Name?

Thanks for your support,
David

Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Belinda Lopez

David Groos wrote:
Hi All,

As I mentioned in a previous e-mail I really feel the need for maybe a
dozen, well-made, wiki pages that describe how to set up a basic but
fully functioning Edubuntu/LTSP Lucid server with the basic educational
needs addressed.* Probably lots of this already exists--my goal is to
update them to Lucid AND perhaps most importantly, give them good
visibility on edubuntu.org
so when a new person arrives there they are welcomed into our community
with a helpful and informational 'red carpet'.

Here are a couple of initial questions:

How do I get a link on the edubuntu page?

I think Jonathan Carter has write access to that area.*

What is the official page on the edubuntu or ubuntu wiki for
installing Lucid (hopefully with info on installing LTSP).

Canonical does not have an official one so it kind of depends on what
you mean by official.* I would consider it official like the
Documentation work if the community supports it.* perhaps with the ok
from the edubuntu council?

Which wiki should I add/update this content, ubuntu or edubuntu?

At this point I'd recommend the official ubuntu wiki as I think there
is more activity there and anyone searching there will find a link to
it.* I don't think there is cross wiki search functionality at this
point.* So maybe the bulk of it on the Ubuntu wiki and a page on the
edubuntu wiki so folks can find it in a search there.

What is the relationship between these wikis and what is the
vision for the edubuntu wiki?

Not sure there is a long term vision for edubuntu at the moment. :-(** It's being driven by
the developer community and they have done an outstanding job to keep
the project moving forward.* Other than blueprints for the next cycle I
would love to see and help work on a long term vision.

I'm thinking I should start a 'specifications' wiki page on
these dozen pages, on edubuntu wiki, right?* Name?

sounds great!* keep us updated on your progress.

FYI:* I've been working on an Edubuntu course in Moodle for the Kids on
computers project.* They asked about maybe adding an LTSP and
networking section to it.* You can find the current work in progress
here:

http://learn.ufbt.net/

Thanks for your support,

thanks for your work!

Dinda

David

Training Project Manager
Canonical
belinda.lopez@canonical.com
Mobile Phone: 832-741-6745
Home Office: 409-497-4346
IRC: dinda
Office: Galveston, Texas
--
Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings
http://www.ubuntu.com http://www.canonical.com

Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
ps

Dear Belinda & David

My suggestions for the Edubuntu/Debian/LTSP Vision:

- installation to be done in simple, logical steps;
- easy to install the basic system (the current Debian/Ubuntu installer
should be worked over so that all parameters can be entered in one go
and the rest of the installation happens unattended - like PC-BSD);
- one easy step to add the LTSP parts, including NX or similar;
- easy setup/integration of group-oriented tools/programs (e.g. VNC,
moodle, etc.) in a coherent "School Configuration" tool;
- creation of an admin/teacher tool with which you can do the essential
admin jobs for a school, e.g. install/delete users, change rights of
users to certain services/programs, open/close internet/chat/skype/etc
access for individual users, setup/maintenance of a website blacklist,
monitoring of individual users progress, choose applications for
LocalApps, etc.

Most of the above can be put together from existing building blocks.

What is needed is some brainstorming - by active users - about what
makes sense. The final product should be streamlined with an intuitive
look-and-feel; the user interface should be self-explanatory (remember
what Bill G. said: the more stupid the users can be, the larger the
market; it's an ugly way of putting the harsh facts). Teachers don't
usually want to be sys-admins, their strengths lie elsewhere; the system
should support them in what they do well!

Regards,

Paul

PS: We have built and used an LTSP System for the past 5 years and have
accumulated a lot of experience in this direction).

Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
ps

Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
ps

Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 PM
David Groos

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Belinda Lopez <belinda.lopez@canonical.com> wrote:

David Groos wrote:

How do I get a link on the edubuntu page?

I think Jonathan Carter has write access to that area.*
Thanks, Belinda.* Jonathan? Not quite ready yet, but I'd like to add a link to a good install page.* More on that in a bit.

What is the official page on the edubuntu or ubuntu wiki for
installing Lucid (hopefully with info on installing LTSP).

Canonical does not have an official one so it kind of depends on what
you mean by official.* I would consider it official like the
Documentation work if the community supports it.* perhaps with the ok
from the edubuntu council?What I mean by this is not necessarily a wiki page but a page like the download page that says, 'once you've downloaded and converted to an install DVD, this is how you install it.* This is very important I feel.

Which wiki should I add/update this content, ubuntu or edubuntu?

At this point I'd recommend the official ubuntu wiki as I think there
is more activity there and anyone searching there will find a link to
it.* I don't think there is cross wiki search functionality at this
point.* So maybe the bulk of it on the Ubuntu wiki and a page on the
edubuntu wiki so folks can find it in a search there.Thanks for this direction.* Until I hear otherwise I'll be planning on adding to the Ubuntu wiki.

What is the relationship between these wikis and what is the
vision for the edubuntu wiki?

Not sure there is a long term vision for edubuntu at the moment. :-(** It's being driven by
the developer community (Hats off to you!!!)

and they have done an outstanding job to keep
the project moving forward.* Other than blueprints for the next cycle I
would love to see and help work on a long term vision.*I know there is a mission statement though I just did a google search "Edubuntu mission" and "Mission of edubuntu" and on neither first 20 hits was a mission statement for Edubuntu.* Where is it?* I know it exists.

The good thing about a mission statement is it tells one why one is marching.* However, a vision statement is different.* The vision tells one what we will approach if our community marches successfully.* Really, a vision guides us in the murky waters of life.* I don't recall seeing a vision statement for edubuntu, but then again, I'm almost 50 so may well have forgotten having seen it... Please direct me to a living or otherwise wiki page telling the vision of our community.

I can (and will) start making wiki pages like: wiki.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/vision if someone doesn't soon educate me on a good way to do it or at least a web page that provides naming guidelines.* On that note, I'm about to make a simple wiki page: wiki.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/installlucid unless I get some other direction.

I'm thinking I should start a 'specifications' wiki page on
these dozen pages, on edubuntu wiki, right?* Name?

sounds great!* keep us updated on your progress.
how about: wiki.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/schoolbasics/... and put the basic pages in place of the ....

*

FYI:* I've been working on an Edubuntu course in Moodle for the Kids on
computers project.* They asked about maybe adding an LTSP and
networking section to it.* You can find the current work in progress
here:

http://learn.ufbt.net/
Awesome!* Which of the 3 programs would be most user friendly for my students to annotate a digital photograph--for example they take a picture of a flower and want to clearly label the parts, gimp, inkspace, scribus?* A tutorial on that would be something my students need...

:-)
David