Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Default Helping new users with setting up Edubuntu server

On 17/06/2010 21:53, Belinda Lopez wrote:
> Not sure there is a long term vision for edubuntu at the moment. :-(
> It's being driven by the developer community and they have done an
> outstanding job to keep the project moving forward. Other than
> blueprints for the next cycle I would love to see and help work on a
> long term vision.

In my opinion there's quite a bit of long-term vision that some of us
share. I think we just need to note it down, I'd really like to get that
on the "About us" website page. Perhaps we can flesh it out at UDS,
ideally though it would be nice to have it done even before that.

-Jonathan

Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 PM
David Hopkins

I've been watching this discussion with great interest and look
forward to the step-by-step ..

But .. I have found with my systems that specifying ext4 can lead to
an unstable system. This is on servers with Supermicro MB that use the
Adaptec 2020ZCR RAID controller (or the Adaptec 2010, 2015 series as
well). I have SCIS and SATA and have seen issues with both. Using
ext3 works fine and I've never had any issues. Might want to add a
caveat or section about what to do if ext4 has issues and how to get
back to ext3.

Another part I did not see are the tweaks required for
install/updates to work from behind a proxy, whether via command line
or with Synaptic.

I look forward to seeing it on the wiki.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:40 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 7:55 PM, ps <ps@gedec.org> wrote:
>>
>> David, perhaps we can go about it in a step-by-step way: first see that
>> all interested parties get 10.04 up and running - including the LTSP part
>> (it seems that many still have problems with that, as we did when we first
>> installed the system).
> Yes.* I wonder how many teachers/school techs have installed Lucid?* What
> options did they use? What challenges did they encounter?* What are their
> needs? This info would be important info to streamline the
> instructions/process.* While there is a process to report experiences with
> the system, I think you are recommending an extra effort on our part
> (school-based users) to report.* I think that's good.* I'll try and put more
> info in the lists.
> Here's a page I made on installing Edubuntu.* It's just a start and needs to
> have a lot more context in it.* If anyone gets a chance please check it out
> and let me know if it has any dangerous info--especially in the partition
> section--before I put it on the wiki.* Probably tomorrow or the next day
> I'll put it on the wiki so others can improve it too.

I'm willing to help as I have an older 32 bit server I can rebuild
on-the-fly for testing, just need to know what you would find useful.
I have systems just like it in production, so while old, it is still
quite useful.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School