Old 06-07-2010, 08:06 PM
john

Default where do office docs "go" when OOWriter freezes?

Hi all,

Occasionally open office crashes and students lose there work. I'd
like to be able to recover the doc for the student. I assume that the
doc would be in /tmp but I don't find it there.
I do see an open socket

srwxr-xr-x 1 some.student domain users 0 2010-06-07
08:32 OSL_PIPE_16621_SingleOfficeIPC_51e26689c3c9b24dbc1 07df4956af5

So my question is where is this document and how can I recover it? And
how can I pinpoint the cause of the OO crash?

Thanks!

John

Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 AM
"Meelis Mihhailov"

// New copy as I sent a reply to John only, not to the list

Hi John,

I had the same problem with my openoffice. It crached several times and
decided to do so when people had some sort of important work unsaved that
they managed to write for several hours.

My solution for that was to manually give OpenOffice it's temporary
directory location in the settings and set autosave to 5 minutes or less.
Now every user has in their /home a special directory where OO saves
temporary files and another directory for autosaves. This way if openoffice
craches I can get their "opened over the web" and automatically saved
documents from these locations.

I Hope this helps

Meelis

Add-on : After I had installed OpenOffice in my server those settings were
not enabled by default.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
john

Hi Meelis,

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Meelis Mihhailov <meelis@nlib.ee> wrote:
s.

> My solution for that was to manually give OpenOffice it's temporary
> directory location in the settings and set autosave to 5 minutes or less.
> Now every user has in their /home a special directory where OO saves
> temporary files and another directory for autosaves. This way if openoffice
> craches I can get their "opened over the web" and automatically saved
> documents from these locations.

Do you have a method for doing this for all users automatically? I've
got about 1000 users and would love to find a way to set autosave and
location as defaults! If you have a method please let me know.

Thanks!

John