Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 PM
David Groos

Default Mentoring for improving wiki pages?

Hi All,

I just turned in my final last night for my statistics class so can now dedicate some more time to edubuntu, again, and, teaching will be out for the year in just about 4 weeks.* Like many users of edubuntu, I need help to install/upgrade/troubleshoot/fix things.* One key resource for self-help is the wiki.* People have been working hard to improve it as a whole.* I'm suggesting to choose maybe a dozen 'hot spots'--topics that are critical to make edubuntu work in a school setting, and make great wiki pages on them.**

A perfect example of what I'm talking about is the work of Gavin and his https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ThinClientHowtoNAT page.* While it is true that 3 other people have also improved that page, Gavin made a big effort to make sure this critical task was CLEARLY and thoroughly explained.* There is no such thing as perfect but there is excellent and that page is.

I've spent I don't know how many hours battling iTALC and alkisg has spent at least 2 or 3 hours trying to help me.* He one time groaned when I told him that I had followed the directions on the wiki.* These might have been pretty good for Hardy, but I had Jaunty and just hoped it would work; it didn't, nor does it still.*

Here are some possible 'sticky points'.* There might be some good wiki pages on them now, but when I first tackled these tasks, they were lacking.* They are critical to many school setups.

--iTALC setup

--Basic squid proxy setup
--Localapps setup
--Backup System
--using flash
--using java
--setting up file-sharing systems for one's classes

I need to understand iTALC and make it work.** I would be more than happy to polish this iTALC wiki page.* I'll need mentoring, a lot at the start, but a great wiki page saves time for everyone and helps edubuntu users feel confident.* Is there anyone who knows iTALC that would serve as my technical mentor on this wiki page?* What would you add to or remove from the list of sticky points?

David G

Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Thu, 13 May 2010, David Groos wrote:

> Here are some possible 'sticky points'. There might be some good wiki pages
> on them now, but when I first tackled these tasks, they were lacking. They
> are critical to many school setups.
>
> --iTALC setup
> --Basic squid proxy setup
> --Localapps setup
> --Backup System
> --using flash
> --using java
> --setting up file-sharing systems for one's classes

This is a great idea.

I'm not that directly involved in an LTSP network any more, so I'm very out
of date on that. However, I do run a squid server and I do run backups so
if I can be of help in that part, I'm happy to.

Gavin

Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Simón Ruiz

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:37 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just turned in my final last night for my statistics class so can now
> dedicate some more time to edubuntu, again, and, teaching will be out for
> the year in just about 4 weeks.* Like many users of edubuntu, I need help to
> install/upgrade/troubleshoot/fix things.* One key resource for self-help is
> the wiki.* People have been working hard to improve it as a whole.* I'm
> suggesting to choose maybe a dozen 'hot spots'--topics that are critical to
> make edubuntu work in a school setting, and make great wiki pages on them.
>
> A perfect example of what I'm talking about is the work of Gavin and his
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ThinClientHowtoNAT page.* While
> it is true that 3 other people have also improved that page, Gavin made a
> big effort to make sure this critical task was CLEARLY and thoroughly
> explained.* There is no such thing as perfect but there is excellent and
> that page is.
>
> I've spent I don't know how many hours battling iTALC and alkisg has spent
> at least 2 or 3 hours trying to help me.* He one time groaned when I told
> him that I had followed the directions on the wiki.* These might have been
> pretty good for Hardy, but I had Jaunty and just hoped it would work; it
> didn't, nor does it still.
>
> Here are some possible 'sticky points'.* There might be some good wiki pages
> on them now, but when I first tackled these tasks, they were lacking.* They
> are critical to many school setups.
>
> --iTALC setup
> --Basic squid proxy setup
> --Localapps setup
> --Backup System
> --using flash
> --using java
> --setting up file-sharing systems for one's classes
>
> I need to understand iTALC and make it work.** I would be more than happy to
> polish this iTALC wiki page.* I'll need mentoring, a lot at the start, but a
> great wiki page saves time for everyone and helps edubuntu users feel
> confident.* Is there anyone who knows iTALC that would serve as my technical
> mentor on this wiki page?* What would you add to or remove from the list of
> sticky points?

I had quite a bit of experience with iTALC back in 2006, in fact the
article I wrote back then on compiling iTALC from source for Dapper
<http://indianalinux.blogspot.com/2007/02/howto-install-italc-from-source-on.html>
is still, according to Google Analytics, the single most visited
article on my somewhat comatose blog.

My big problem was simply that there weren't up to date iTALC packages
for Ubuntu, and building from source gave me that.

I was working on just "normal" Desktops, though, so I have
*absolutely* no experience with iTALC on LTSP. (no experience with
LTSP yet, really)

Still, I may be able to help if your questions are basically just
iTALC-related. What problems are you having?

> David G

Simón R

P.S. Just in case you're unaware: iTALC 1.x development ground to a
halt as the developer (a college student who codes in his free time)
works on version 2.0. The latest version, 1.0.10, was just released
after a couple of years break, and it pretty much just includes bug
fixes.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
David Groos

Gavin and Simón thanks for your offers to help me write some good pages--I'll take you up on all of it, starting with the iTALC.* Also, thanks for the history--something which I think is important to include, briefly, in the wiki as well.* Hopefully, others in the community with additional knowledge, both from a programming and implementation-perspective, will chime in as needed.

For starters, it would be a great time-saver on my part if people would direct me to good reference articles on iTALC for Ubuntu (I know it's used with Windows as well but I'm not focusing on that).* I of course could do a google search on iTALC (done it many times, actually), however, I don't know what is outdated or applies to the areas of interest.* The info I'm looking for is:

--History of the project
--Accuracy of the ubuntu page on italc (it says it is only good for Hardy)
--Differences between versions for Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic, Lucid (I'll be focusing on Jaunty, Karmic, Lucid)

--Successful applications of iTALC
--CURRENT issues--limitations--with iTALC.
--Theory on iTALC.

Any favorite links or mini-lessons would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
David

PS--Sounds like we need a tutorial on installing Edubuntu/LTSP from recent list-server e-mails--it's not that people are dumb, it's that wiki pages need improving!

Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
David Groos

Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
David Groos

Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 AM
David Groos

I've been busy with 'other stuff' but did find a major issue I had with iTALC.* In some previous attempt I had made the classroom setting persistent as per the ubuntu wiki page.* And, thinking I had done a complete uninstall and other excuses I can't think up at the moment I didn't think to go back to this.* When I finally realized this, deleted the [path] line, my iTALC worked normally again!* That was a relief and I think this problem affected me more than 1 time over the last year.* I added this troubleshooting info to the wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/iTalc.

alkisg told me about a series of scripts that sound great that he uses instead of iTALC so I'm going to give them a try.* I'll be writing instructions on doing these tasks instead of iTALC unless I move back to using iTALC.

Over the next few days I'm going to be working on setting up a Lucid LTSP server.* I'll try and improve the wiki/edubuntu pages as I go through this process.* I'll * I'll try and think like a beginner (shouldn't be too hard).* I'll start another thread for these endeavors.*

Again, I'll be working on these things and more: