Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 PM
David Groos

Default Mentoring for improving wiki pages?

WOW!* Faster than iTALC and pretty easy to install as well.* I'll be letting you know how this continues--Now to translate some button names--or alkisg would you do them since I can't copy paste them into a translator?* I'll make it a neat write up though and put it into the wiki when I've tested it a bit more.* This is cool

David

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:23 AM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com> wrote:

Στις 15-06-2010, ημ*ρα Τρι, και ώρα 20:30 -0500, ο/η David Groos *γραψε:

> alkisg told me about a series of scripts that sound great that he uses

> instead of iTALC so I'm going to give them a try. *I'll be writing

> instructions on doing these tasks instead of iTALC unless I move back

> to using iTALC.

It's a Greek app that we developed to meet the needs of our local

schools:

http://wiki.ubuntu-gr.org/sch-scripts/screenshots

I'd like to internationalize and generalize it, but I'm starting my phd

so I won't have time to do it in the next 2 years. I'd be glad to help

if some python/shell programmer wants to do it, though.

It only works on Lucid. The toolbar buttons should replace most of iTalc

functionality, and are:

Wake on lan (the clients should be declared with their macs/hostnames in

lts.conf for this to work - that's done from the -greek- menus), Logoff,

Reboot, Shutdown, Broadcast teacher screen, End broadcast, Execute a

command on the clients, Lock student screens, Unlock student screens,

and Client properties.

The screen broadcasting is about 5 times faster than iTalc, and in my

experience, it's much much more stable. The clients and the users are

autodetected LIVE as they become available - there's no need to put them

in a configuration file. The client daemon only needs 1 MB RAM (=it's

just a /bin/sh). xvnc4viewer is automatically called on demand.

The teacher broadcasting also works in the ldm login screen, where the

users have not logged on yet.

Currently the teacher needs to have sudo rights to run the GUI, but for

the "classroom management" part this requirement could be easily

dropped, as the GUI communicates with the networking backend over a unix

socket owned by some group. So it's very easy to make it so that it can

be used by anyone in the "teachers" group.

The fat/thin chroot generation wizard won't be useful outside of Greece

as it is though, as it's too much focused on local schools. If some

programmer wanted it'd be nice if he generalized it though, as the

generated fat chroot allows for mixed labs (both thin+fat clients can

boot off of it) with min RAM=64Mb. It's working amazingly well.

To sum up: DON'T install it on any production environments without

trying it on a test lab first, and DON'T install it if you're not happy

with only understading the toolbar (the rest is in Greek)

More on this in 2 years. Cheers!

--

Some basic instructions for dgross:

On the server:

** sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ts.sch.gr

** sudo apt-get update

** sudo apt-get install sch-scripts
got the message that *restarting DNS forwarder and DHCP server ndsmasq
dnsmasq: failed to bind DHCP server socket: Address already in use.
alkisg on #edubuntu said that his scripts use dnsmasq not what I'm currently using: dhcp-3-server.

*

* This depends on (=installs) ltsp-server and also it sets up dnsmasq

* in ProxyDHCP mode.

* (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP)

On the chroot:

** sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ts.sch.gr-ppa-lucid.list

* * /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/apt/sources.list.d

** sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386

** apt-get update
got an error about 'W GPG error: ... because the public key is not available (mentioned the pub key which turned out to be a greek one, alkisg's, I'd guess.
So, I did a command that added that and re-updated.

it installed 2 files and said that the sch-scripts or something had started and gave a process number.

** apt-get install sch-client
I also did apt-get upgrade

** exit

** sudo ltsp-update-image