Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Default Edubuntu Maverick Packaging Work

Hi, here's a dump of the discussion from the packaging session at UDS
today. We'll probably put together something nice at some point:

= UDS Session - 12 May 2010 =

Spec page:
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-maverick-edubuntu-packages
Related spec (schooltool):
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-maverick-schooltool

Purpose of meeting: create plan for education packages that need
attention in Maverick.
Packages to discuss:
* Moodle
* Schooltool (needs a bunch of Zope dependencies, didn't make it in
time for Lucid, a session on maverick-zope-packages running right now,
not sure if it's directly related)
* Sugar (currently in Ubuntu, some packages are 0.88 and some are 0.86
and may need to be updated, if someone could provide some clarity on
that it would be great)

If there's time, we could perhaps discuss the possibility of an
edubuntu-server task.

==Schooltool==

* Administration & gradebook tool
* Magnus will maintain all zope3 packages in Ubuntu, so zope shouldn't be a
problem from here on
* In the next 6 months, hopefully 25 schools in Cambodia, perhaps
nationwide by
2011
* Also working with schools in Zambia, El Salvador

== Edubuntu Server Task ==

* Could include packages like schooltool
* Not necessarily on Ubuntu Server disc (depending on space)
* Perhaps on text installer on Edubuntu DVD?(sorry can't hear so nice
with skype)
* Task in net installer can be done first

== Moodle ==

* Debian has orphaned the project:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/2010-May/003456.html
* Debian had a redesign of Moodle packaging in git but basically task
was too
large to be finished
* Simplify scope, depend on postgres
* If someone really wants separate db server or using mysql or
something else, they
need to wait until we get the workable package first
* Will upstream be willing to provide security updates for 4-5 years in
Debian?
* Pick version for Lucid & Squeeze that can be maintained for that time
* Having moodle-scripts could possibly be more work than packaging it
properly
and generally a bad idea (think flash plugin)
* What version is Canonical using?
* jbicha will contact Tomek to see about packaging progress

== Sugar ==

* Contact Ubuntu Sugar team, get update on current Sugar status

== Other Packages ==

Touch-screen / smarboard tools: (I didn't quite get the names please
populate)
* journal
* xournal

Future perhaps (radar):

School Interoperability Framework (SIF) (openzis.org)

== QIMO ==

* mhall119 will create a gnome-based session that we could ship on the DVD

Old 05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Caroline

On 12/05/2010 16:39, Caroline Ford wrote:
> There's a language pack issue that's been caused by the removal of
> edubuntu packages from main that needs looking at. Translation
> regression in lucid that I don't have time to look at, but I'm getting
> complaints about.

Do you perhaps have a bug report? Otherwise I'll look into it so long...

-Jonathan

Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Caroline Ford

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tuxpaint/+bug/572994

I've not checked if it affects other packages, and I don't currently have a lucid machine to try and confirm myself.