Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Ara Pulido

Default Testing the ISOs

Hello all,

I want to raise attention to the Edubuntu developers about the necessity
of testing the ISOs during milestone testing.

The release team has a policy (during Betas, RC and Final releases) of
not releasing Ubuntu or its derivatives until EVERY testcase has been
covered.

During Beta2 non of the Edubuntu testcases (including Upgrade from
Karmic) were covered by a member of edubuntu-devel or edubuntu-bugsquad.

With over 70 members, I think that the Edubuntu community has the
necessary resources to cover the Edubuntu testcases.

Tomorrow, most likely, the first candidate images will be appearing, and
you can start preparing today.

1) Sync now the Edubuntu images, so it is less painful to sync tomorrow
the candidate images. You can use dl-ubuntu-test-iso to sync, it is now
packaged (ubuntu-qa-tools) and working in Lucid.

2) Install Edubuntu 9.10 amd64 and i386 in a virtual machine or a spare
partition, to have them ready to test upgrades.

3) Blog about testing, to get awareness from your users

4) Reach some power users directly, to ask them to help the project by
testing the ISOs.

I would like to discuss during UDS how to improve the testing in Ubuntu
and its derivatives. I have register a blueprint [1], in case you want
to participate during the discussion.

Thanks,
Ara.

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/maverick-qa-community-improve-iso-testing

Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Ara Pulido

Hello all,

I want to raise attention to the Xubuntu developers and testers about
the necessity of testing the ISOs during milestone testing.

The release team has a policy (during Betas, RC and Final releases) of
not releasing Ubuntu oedr its derivatives until EVERY testcase has been
covered.

During Beta2 Charlie Kravetz did a fantastic job helping covering many
Xubuntu test cases, but it will be great if others could help. Upgrade
and Netboot testcases also need to be covered.

With over 150 members, I think that the Xubuntu testing community has
the necessary resources to cover the Xubuntu testcases.

Tomorrow, most likely, the first RC candidate images will be appearing,
and you can start preparing today.

1) Sync now the Xubuntu images, so it is less painful to sync tomorrow
the candidate images. You can use dl-ubuntu-test-iso to sync, it is now
packaged (ubuntu-qa-tools) and working in Lucid.

2) Install Xubuntu 9.10 amd64 and i386 in a virtual machine or a spare
partition, to have them ready to test upgrades.

3) Blog about testing, to get awareness from your users

4) Reach some power users directly, to ask them to help the project by
testing the ISOs.

I would like to discuss during UDS how to improve the testing in Ubuntu
and its derivatives. I have register a blueprint [1], in case you want
to participate during the discussion.

Check the ISO testing procedures in the wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/ISO/Procedures

Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Ara Pulido

Hello all,

I want to raise attention to the Kubuntu developers and testers about
the necessity of testing the ISOs during milestone testing.

The release team has a policy (during Betas, RC and Final releases) of
not releasing Ubuntu or its derivatives until EVERY testcase has been
covered.

Tomorrow, most likely, the first RC candidate images will be appearing,
and you can start preparing today.

1) Sync now the Kubuntu images, so it is less painful to sync tomorrow
the candidate images. You can use dl-ubuntu-test-iso to sync, it is now
packaged (ubuntu-qa-tools) and working in Lucid.

2) Install Kubuntu 9.10 amd64 and i386 in a virtual machine or a spare

Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Jeremy Bicha

Hi,

I believe that Ubuntu testing will in the near future need to include
an automated
test suite. My vision is that results of the suite will be publicized
so that certain
hardware can receive gold/silver/bronze certification. (Wine, for
instance does fairly
well with this scheme.) One of Ubuntu's perceived weaknesses is that we get a
significant number of regressions. Having a quantifiable user-friendly database
should help to let us know where regressions are occurring so that they can be
worked on and hopefully fixed before release. I believe I'll actually
be able to
attend UDS-M so I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Jeremy Bicha

Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Dave Morley

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 22:40 +0300, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe that Ubuntu testing will in the near future need to include
> an automated
> test suite. My vision is that results of the suite will be publicized
> so that certain
> hardware can receive gold/silver/bronze certification. (Wine, for
> instance does fairly
> well with this scheme.) One of Ubuntu's perceived weaknesses is that we get a
> significant number of regressions. Having a quantifiable user-friendly database
> should help to let us know where regressions are occurring so that they can be
> worked on and hopefully fixed before release. I believe I'll actually
> be able to
> attend UDS-M so I look forward to seeing some of you there!
>
> Jeremy Bicha

There already is.

However it still can't reproduce errors that humans can find. There is
no this looks or feels wrong, it doesn't always pick up on glitches as
long as it get to the end of the test it's a pass.

This is why there is always a call out for testing on each milestone.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk