Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Sameer Verma

Default error in instr. for LTSP using DHCPproxy for Lucid

This page(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP) says:

Adjusting pxelinux.cfg/default for Ubuntu 10.04

Run the following commands in order to create an /etc/ltsp directory
and an appropriate ltsp-update-kernels.conf file inside it, followed
by ltsp-update-image to propagate the changes:

sudo mkdir -p /etc/ltsp
(cat <<EOF
BOOTPROMPT_OPTIONS='quiet splash autoconf=dhcp'
IPAPPEND=3
EOF
) | sudo tee /etc/ltsp/ltsp-update-image.conf
sudo ltsp-update-image

Is it "ltsp-update-kernels.conf" or "ltsp-update-image.conf" ?

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems

Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Alkis Georgopoulos

Στις 13-04-2010, ημ*ρα Τρι, και ώρα 15:36 -0700, ο/η Sameer Verma
*γραψε:
> This page(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP) says:
> Is it "ltsp-update-kernels.conf" or "ltsp-update-image.conf" ?

Thanks for noticing. I've updated the wiki, it should be OK now.

As Lucid is still in development, there were some changes and that part
wasn't updated properly.
* ltsp-update-image.conf is used now, not ltsp-update-kernels.conf.
* ltsp-update-image.conf now already exists, so there's no need to
create the /etc/ltsp directory, and the content should be appended to
that file (tee -a), instead of overwriting it (tee).
* I think ltsp-update-image --force is needed in order to
generate/overwrite the existing pxelinux.cfg/default, I put that on the
wiki, please confirm that this is indeed true.

Regards,
Alkis

Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Sameer Verma

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Στις 13-04-2010, ημ*ρα Τρι, και ώρα 15:36 -0700, ο/η Sameer Verma
> *γραψε:
>> This page(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP) says:
>> Is it "ltsp-update-kernels.conf" or "ltsp-update-image.conf" ?
>
> Thanks for noticing. I've updated the wiki, it should be OK now.
>
> As Lucid is still in development, there were some changes and that part
> wasn't updated properly.
> ** ltsp-update-image.conf is used now, not ltsp-update-kernels.conf.
> ** ltsp-update-image.conf now already exists, so there's no need to
> create the /etc/ltsp directory, and the content should be appended to
> that file (tee -a), instead of overwriting it (tee).
> ** I think ltsp-update-image --force is needed in order to
> generate/overwrite the existing pxelinux.cfg/default, I put that on the
> wiki, please confirm that this is indeed true.
>
> Regards,
> Alkis

OK. I've used ltsp-update-image --force and it builds a new image. Now, I get

udhcpc (v0.9.9-pre) started
sending discover
sending discover
sending discover

on the client.

Sameer

Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Sameer Verma

2010/4/13 Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu>:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Στις 13-04-2010, ημ*ρα Τρι, και ώρα 15:36 -0700, ο/η Sameer Verma
>> *γραψε:
>>> This page(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP) says:
>>> Is it "ltsp-update-kernels.conf" or "ltsp-update-image.conf" ?
>>
>> Thanks for noticing. I've updated the wiki, it should be OK now.
>>
>> As Lucid is still in development, there were some changes and that part
>> wasn't updated properly.
>> ** ltsp-update-image.conf is used now, not ltsp-update-kernels.conf.
>> ** ltsp-update-image.conf now already exists, so there's no need to
>> create the /etc/ltsp directory, and the content should be appended to
>> that file (tee -a), instead of overwriting it (tee).
>> ** I think ltsp-update-image --force is needed in order to
>> generate/overwrite the existing pxelinux.cfg/default, I put that on the
>> wiki, please confirm that this is indeed true.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alkis
>>

> OK. I've used ltsp-update-image --force and it builds a new image. Now, I get
>
> udhcpc (v0.9.9-pre) started
> sending discover
> sending discover
> sending discover
>
> on the client.
>
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor, Information Systems
> Director, Campus Business Solutions
> San Francisco State University
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
> http://is.sfsu.edu/

Another clue:

I removed the autoconf=dhcp part and the thin client image boots up.
Now it hangs after login. Incorrect login results in no response from
the server, restarting...

Sameer

Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Sameer Verma

2010/4/13 Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu>:
> 2010/4/13 Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu>:
>> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Στις 13-04-2010, ημ*ρα Τρι, και ώρα 15:36 -0700, ο/η Sameer Verma
>>> *γραψε:
>>>
>>> Thanks for noticing. I've updated the wiki, it should be OK now.
>>>
>>> As Lucid is still in development, there were some changes and that part
>>> wasn't updated properly.
>>> * ltsp-update-image.conf is used now, not ltsp-update-kernels.conf.
>>> * ltsp-update-image.conf now already exists, so there's no need to
>>> create the /etc/ltsp directory, and the content should be appended to
>>> that file (tee -a), instead of overwriting it (tee).
>>> * I think ltsp-update-image --force is needed in order to
>>> generate/overwrite the existing pxelinux.cfg/default, I put that on the
>>> wiki, please confirm that this is indeed true.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Alkis
>>>

>> OK. I've used ltsp-update-image --force and it builds a new image. Now, I get
>>
>> udhcpc (v0.9.9-pre) started
>> sending discover
>> sending discover
>> sending discover
>>
>> on the client.
>>
>> Sameer
>> --
>> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
>> Associate Professor, Information Systems
>> Director, Campus Business Solutions
>> San Francisco State University
>> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
>> http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
>> http://is.sfsu.edu/
>>

> Another clue:
>
> I removed the autoconf=dhcp part and the thin client image boots up.
> Now it hangs after login. Incorrect login results in no response from
> the server, restarting...
>
> Sameer

On the server, I see the processes for the client, but the client
hangs. Upon reboot, I see all kinds of X errors, nbd fails, etc. I'm
just going to have to do a clean reinstall tomorrow. disregard my
query.

cheers,
Sameer